Oil & Fuel Diesel Fuels

/ Diesel Fuels #1  

Piperflyer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota3030HST
Does it make a difference if your not using your equipment that much with diesel fuel stored in the tank.

/ Diesel Fuels #2  
I could be wrong but I am reasonably sure that diesel fuel stores much better than gasoline, I have used diesel from a can that had been stored two years and it was fine. That is about all I know on the subject.

/ Diesel Fuels #4  
hi it's ok to store you tractor with diesel because the diesel does not go bad as fast as gas.

/ Diesel Fuels #5  
The fuel itself does not break down as fast as gasoline, but be aware that bacteria will grow in diesel that has moisture in it. Those little buggers will stop the flow if you let them move in.

/ Diesel Fuels #6  
If you're not going to use the tractor much you should fill the tank. This will keep water from condensation out of your fuel. Another thing to keep in mind if you store it for long periods especially if you fill in the summer and go to use it in the winter is cloud point.

What is the Cloud Point of Diesel Fuel

There are also comments about algae growth, but I've only found discussions on what it is by companies that make algaecide so I don't know if that is a real problem or a product looking for a problem.

In either way, I've not had any problem with fuel even when stored for more than 6 months, probably closer to a year. Just be sure to change filters on schedule.

/ Diesel Fuels #7  
keep em full to prevent misture from condensing.. and treat tanks with biocide and stabilizer. same for tractor tank too.. run it some to get that circulated into the injector pump as well.

soundguy

/ Diesel Fuels #8  
If you're not going to use the tractor much you should fill the tank. This will keep water from condensation out of your fuel. Another thing to keep in mind if you store it for long periods especially if you fill in the summer and go to use it in the winter is cloud point.

What is the Cloud Point of Diesel Fuel

There are also comments about algae growth, but I've only found discussions on what it is by companies that make algaecide so I don't know if that is a real problem or a product looking for a problem.

In either way, I've not had any problem with fuel even when stored for more than 6 months, probably closer to a year. Just be sure to change filters on schedule.

I am sure it exists, I just don't know where. I have spoken to numerous farmers in my area who store fuel for long periods of time and whose tractors don't move all winter and none of them use it. My father in law owned a fuel distributorship an d he did not recommend it. I have run diesel tractors for many years and on a couple of occasions not moved a particular tractor for over a year and not run into problems.

I have seen posts on here where people have experienced it so maybe they can provide some information.

/ Diesel Fuels #9  
down in our tanks here in florida it can be an issue where you get moisture inthe fuel. sure HAVE to use a biocide or you get black gunk that plugs up the filters and taps..

soundguy

I am sure it exists, I just don't know where. I have spoken to numerous farmers in my area who store fuel for long periods of time and whose tractors don't move all winter and none of them use it. My father in law owned a fuel distributorship an d he did not recommend it. I have run diesel tractors for many years and on a couple of occasions not moved a particular tractor for over a year and not run into problems.

I have seen posts on here where people have experienced it so maybe they can provide some information.

/ Diesel Fuels #10  
Does it make a difference if your not using your equipment that much with diesel fuel stored in the tank.

Hop on over to 'Oil, Fuel and Lubricants' , Oil, Fuel & Lubricants - TractorByNet.com

and you will find lot's of info on that subject, as well as others.:thumbsup:

It ain't just algae that you need to be concerned with nowadays.