Chains New chains...Does this look right ???!!!

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #31  
Well we ARE talking about tire chains...ya know. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #32  
From what I can tell you should just always assume you will need to cut new chains the first time you fit them. If my some miracle, they just fit our of the box (or bag), then it's your lucky day.

In my opinion tirechain.com's biggest mistake is not just saying right up front that you may need to trim the chains to fit. It's really not a big deal to cut them down, but catching people off guard turns it into a big deal.

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!!
Well, I shortened the chains. Not a big deal, but probably took an hour and a half to do it. I had no idea what to take off, so I took off one cross chain, then put the chain on the tire and saw that I needed to take two off...

What you do is bend open the hooks at the ends of the cross chains and then remove them from the side chains. I have a large vise and that made the job easy. I first tried to spread things with a hammer and chisel...not an easy task.

Here's a shot to show the difference after the first cross chain was off...could not get things tight yet...but now only one quart of oil would fit in...

Attachments

• 47-212148-1OFF.JPG
    47-212148-1OFF.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 91
AFter taking the second cross chain off, and getting both chains back on the tractor and tightened up...you can see they are quite tight now...I took a sort test ride.

Kind of bouncy! I notice the difference as compared to no chains...tensioners were not here yet...

Attachments

• 47-212150-2OUT.JPG
    47-212150-2OUT.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 98
   / New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #35  
looks much better. If you can tighten one more link's worth on the side chain you should be all set.

Mine are a tight fit getting one, and even once they are on and settle in I still need tighteners to keep them from wacking the fenders since the clearance on the 2910 is very limited.

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #36  
You've got it!

Here is a shot of the chains with the tensioners on...

Attachments

• 47-212154-TENON.JPG
    47-212154-TENON.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 85
A final shot...for what it's worth...

Things seem to be quite tight and all around OK...

Bill

Attachments

• 47-212157-FINAL.JPG
    47-212157-FINAL.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 90
   / New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #39  
Very nice, and I don't think that cross-chain gap at the coupling point will make any real difference.

/ New chains...Does this look right ???!!! #40  
They look good, and I assume you will either cut the extra tail off the side chains or fasten them back so they do not hang out and hit your fender.

Also, for what it is worth, I would do without the side tensioners. I like the cross chains to have some slack as they move about and clean themselves off. With the tensioners, it appears the cross chains will just stay hunkered down between the lugs, and not clean themselves off. But that is just a different way to accomplish the same goal - get traction and don't get stuck. I only mention this (not to make you feel bad) because others may want to first try just the chains, and if needed (like keep them from hitting the fender) add the tensioners. The chains won't come off the tires either way.

Have fun, as it looks like nothing can slow you down now.