We could really use some advice....

/ We could really use some advice.... #1  

JAY AND EBBEN

Tractor
Zetor 5245, JD 350-B
Hi,
My son is 12 years old and I am 49. Last month was devastating for us. On November 31st our best friend (my father-in-law) died while hiking in the mountains. Then on the 13th of December my father was struck by a motor vehicle and was killed as well. Both men were the heads of both sides of our families.... the loss is indescribable. They were absolutely the guiding forces in our lives.

My father-in-law built post and beam buildings for a living, had a farm, wife and animals. He just finished his last building last month and was looking forward to his new retirement years and was going to enter it by building a hot rod with my son (my son is a gear head). Now he is gone... Horrible.

This is our first post... we are not dozer guys but are decent mechanics and level headed and safety minded.

To my surprise, Phil (grandpa and Father-in-law) had already taught my son how to drive the dozer (John Deere - 350B). Ebben was also taught to run his crane truck, when he was nine, to help with some short-handed lifts... I know this must sound crazy but the kid lives for this stuff. Anyway.... Ebben proved to my satisfaction that yes, he knew how to run it. So... with as much safety as is possible... I told him to twist the key and fire the bulldozer up. Short story.... he pushed the momentary switch to light it up, but when he let go of it the starter kept chugging along and would not shut off! Yikes... I quickly sent Ebben on the fly to get a couple of wrenches and screwdrivers while I worked to locate the batteries. By the time he returned I had the covers off... and I managed to pull the terminals before the whole thing lit up and burned the barn to the ground.... BIG SCARE.

Question; The key would not kill the starter so I ASSUME the solenoid stuck. Is this a good guess? Can anyone tell me which plate the solenoid is under? and how to test it? or what a replacement number is? Also; any helpful hints for us to get started with a dozer are appreciated.. we have yet to get into the manual... we just checked the basics like oil etc. and were having a "lets just fire this sucker up" minute to prove to ourselves that we have the courage to move forward on the farm. We have already cleaned, oiled, and began working Phils 4 Wheel tractor... it is all a big step for us but we have no choice. Please do help us with advise and do not critique us too much for being in so deep so fast.. it is a very complicated story and we have no choice.

For the fun of it you can see us both on utube... just go to 'you tube' and type in '$1 sail boat' click on the top sail boat image - we started a slideshow of a 32' sailboat Ebben bought on craigslist for $1 (Really). We are having a great time restoring it. You'll see he is truly a motor head. The happy looking guy in the far seat of the pickup truck is Phil. Lord rest his soul - we miss him.

Please meet us by watching the slideshow - then please give us lots of advice on the starter problem and on dozers in general. The motor photo I am posting is from the $1 sailboat project.

Thank you in advance.

Jay and Ebben

Last edited:
   / We could really use some advice.... #2  
I dont know where to tell you to look, other than the hot wire from the battery should lead you to it.

/ We could really use some advice.... #3  
Sorry for your loss's. You're knockin on the right door here for tractor advice.
Welcome to TBN. If you put some info on equip., location, uses, etc. on your profile, people will be more able to help out.

/ We could really use some advice.... #4  
Im so sorry for your loss. I would also check that momentary switch. I would bet its a bad solenoid though. Thats great that your son is so mechanicly inclined. Family is important.

/ We could really use some advice.... #5  
I have some cat equipment that the only way to shut it down is to reach down and pull the pedal back,it was designed that way.
Brian

/ We could really use some advice.... #6  
I just did a search for a replacement starter for a JD 350 crawler....the pics show that the solenoid is mounted directly on the starter.

Sorry for the tragedy your family is enduring. I watched the U-tube video...great to see a family display something a lot of us are starting to forget.....how to work together on a common goal.:thumbsup:

/ We could really use some advice.... #7  
Great video and so sorry for your loss.

I have to pay someone to do all my mechanical stuff, so I am afraid I can't help with that.

/ We could really use some advice.... #8  
Sorry for your hard times. Make and model of the crane would be helpful. Straight truck mounted or is it a self propelled? Gas or diesel? If diesel it may have a mechanical stop, but I gather disconnecting the battery killed it, so probably not. The solenoid could be on the starter (look there first), or elsewhere. Like was said. Follow the battery cable. My only dozer experience is from 30+ years ago and on a Cat D6 and a little JD 310 crawler loader backhoe unit so no help there.

Kim

/ We could really use some advice....
From what I have looked up, the 350 starter is located on the starter.... I think there may be some confusion.... the problem is on the bulldozer.... But in case you are wondering, the crane is a '82 GMC with a Pitman HL-500 Crane on it. Gas powered, truck mounted.

Ebben

/ We could really use some advice.... #10  
From what I have looked up, the 350 starter is located on the starter.... I think there may be some confusion.... the problem is on the bulldozer.... But in case you are wondering, the crane is a '82 GMC with a Pitman HL-50 Crane on it. Gas powered, truck mounted.

Ebben

Yep. I thought the problem was with the crane, even after rereading it.

Kim