Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Currently tractor-less

Default Re: Chains for pulling

Hi Chim,

<font color=blue>BTW, did I ever tell you I love the bouncy tractor in your signature? </font color=blue>

Thanks. My wife videotaped me driving along with my newest invention; the square wheel. The only problem is the lifespan of the hats. You wouldn't believe how many hats I wear out with this setup. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thomas:
    Did you also help things along with a little verbale persuasion? It seems to give the little 7100 more incentive.

Egon

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D

Default What/where is a drawbar

???????

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

Default Re: What/where is a drawbar

MLB
    I have attached a picture from Carvers site showing a 2910 3PH. The red circle in picture is the Draw Bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

HI,

I admit my ignorance...

What are the stages of tree growth?

Seedling, sapling, I dunno...

What diamerer are these saplings? I really do want to know! In my minds eye saplings would be maybe an inch in diameter...something you could run over with a rotary cutter...

I have a couple acres to clear next spring/summer...wondering what to do with it...

Trying to decide how to attack what is there...have the backhoe...loader with toothbar...and hopefully a new rotary cutter next spring...

Always want to learn new techinques...but seems like a 3 inch diameter trunk would not be a sapling...2 inches...maybe...

What is the largest diameter that one might expect to pull out with the 3PH?

Bill in Pgh, PA...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

Gary,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why didn't you just use the backhoe to pluck out the saplings? That's what I use all the time. Of course, I'm always looking for an excuse to use the 'hoe.

~Rick

be careful when trying to push saplings out with the FEL bucket. if you have the bucket lowered and use the hydraulics to curl the bucket or lift the bucket, you will bend the lower lip of the bucket -- it happens easily. I've done it on 2 different tractors.
    jim

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: Saplings/seedlings? Chains for pulling

Saplings (IMO) would include trees 1 - 3" in diameter at breast height (DBH) but there is not a real clear cut definition based on diameter. Often depends on the species of tree and its growth characteristics. Seedlings more often refer to the "sticks" that one is planting or removing from the ground, or that are small and in their first year or two of growth from seed.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

<font color=blue>In my minds eye saplings would be maybe an inch in diameter...something you could run over with a rotary cutter...</font color=blue>

I agree with you. If my brush hog can't knock it over and chop it up, I officially call it a tree [img]/w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif[/img]. Usually 2 inches and under. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://users.beanstalk.net/godollei/pt425/PT425Videos/pt425sapling.wmv> Here's a link to a grainy movie of a 2" sapling getting brush hogged </A> (92K in size, 5 seconds long, Widows Media format)

Tractor
    TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans

Default Re: Saplings/seedlings? Chains for pulling

I guess I fail to see why you would go to all the trouble to pull these things.

I chop them up with the brush hog. Real effective and fast.
    If the tree is tall then us the FEL to push it down while you run over it or back on top of it. Go very slow for the heavy stuff so you don't break anything. I choped up a small stand of persimmon trees the other day that were about 1-2" diameter and quite tall.

All of this assumes you have a medium or heavy duty cutter. Most medium duty are rated to 3".

Fred

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast