Chains Chains for pulling

/ Chains for pulling #1  

tld

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2025r
I need to pull out some small sapplings with my JD4110. Where should I attach the chains to the tractor. Thanks.

/ Chains for pulling #2  
The best place to attach anything to pull with the tractor is to the drawbar. This is what the drawbar is designed for is the attachment point for pulling. The real key is to make sure that whatever you attach to is both secure and low, two requirements that the drawbar fufills nicely. If you attach to anything higher, there is the possibility that the tractor's front wheels will come up off the ground, and eventually roll all the way over on top of you /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. Good luck with your saplings and be safe.

/ Chains for pulling #3  
<font color=blue>pull out some sapplings<font color=blue><font color=black> if you meant from the ground,I would hitch the chain to the rear tow hitch..not the 3 point hitch.

Not to much slack chain.

Try and not to pull up hill.

Keep and eye on the front end of your JD..last thing you need for it to rear up and over.

Take test run on the smallest sapplings,and once you become comfortable,than you can work your way up for more pulling.

Just how big are these sappling your planing on pulling out??

/ Chains for pulling #4  
If the saplings are small enough you can back right up to them, lower the three point hitch and attempt to pull up vertically with the three point.
If you have a FEL on the tractor try pushing them over with the bucket first and note where the ground moves indicating roots. Try and cut these with the bucket. When pulling fill the bucket with heavy stuff to add traction but mainly to keep the front end on the ground .

I always use the three point hitch with this method as it will give the rear tires more traction. The filled bucket will keep the front wheels on the ground. Please note this method works for my tractor but may not for yours.

If you do not have a FEL use only the drawbar for pulling. Be prepared for the sapling to come down and hit you on the head as you are pulling.

You may also cut the sappling off about four feet from the ground and hook your chain to the top. this will give a little more leverage but less traction.
Egon

/ Chains for pulling #5  
Egon,
I've try all that you have mention..and it does work. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I hope tld..the poster shall try your ideas.

/ Chains for pulling #6  
You've gotten some excellent advice here. I recently pulled some saplings with my 4200 and still had my backhoe attached so attaching my chain at the rear wasn't convenient. I simply attached my chain to my front bumper and pulled in reverse. I couldn't think of a good reason not to do this and was pretty sure I wasn't going to flip anything over doing that. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Chains for pulling #7  
I have pulled a lot of walnut trees out with the 4300. Just hook up to the draw bar and give it tugs until you see the roots. I have a heavy digger bar that I use to cut the roots.

If the tractor does not have enough weight I use the dump truck loaded with dirt. Just a little tug with all that weight and out they come.

/ Chains for pulling #8  
Gary,

Don't most tires have quite a bit less traction when moving in reverse?

Bob

/ Chains for pulling #9  
Bob, I have pretty good luck tugging backwards. For saplings, it works well to use the FEL. Go forward and bend the sapling over, and while dumping/lowering the bucket, back up with the wheels cut to trap the sapling between the teeth. With the sapling kinda woven through the teeth, it usually does the trick. I'd expect the abuse to the trunk also helps loosen up the ground around the roots..................chim

BTW, did I ever tell you I love the bouncy tractor in your signature?

/ Chains for pulling #10  
I would think they would but my trees came out just fine. I have MFWD and locked the differential and experienced no slippage at all.