Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Did I get suckered into something...or not???

Hey woody1,

<font color=blue>oh just quit ur wine'in and cut them as you see fit and hang on to the extra material for sometime when it might come in handy. sheesh, all this over a tire chain! </font color=blue>

Since you are the last in post in this thread at the moment, let me just say...

If you think this is wine'n, you must still be running with the puppies...when you get up there with the big dogs you will know what real wine'n is. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

By the way you got me pegged wrong...I much prefer good beer over wine any day![img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You may enjoy wasting your tiime making things right, but I would rather be doing something else, personally. Yes, it is not a big deal shortening chains, but who wants to waste the hour or more to do it. Second time around would be much faster...I know.

Personally, I hate being ripped off or cheated or lied to more than working. That was the reason for the post...just in case you really missed that point...

As always...app!reciate everyone's input! The chains are mounted and look good.

Bill in Pgh, PA

Franz,

<font color=blue>Like you said, you're young. Wisdom is lifes accumulated set of knowledge. Allow an old faht to donate another bit of knowledge to a youngster;
    </font color=blue>

THanks for the the compliment!

I thought I said I was old...and thought the other guy was older! All relative I suppose.

My wife would tend to agree with you by the way...says that by not using my brain I retain my youth!

Bill in Pgh, PA

Rich and all,

I ended up taking off two cross chains to get the chains to fit the tires properly.

As it stands now, 17 cross chains remain. Each cross chain has 16 links plus the two end hooks.

Be curious to see if yours are the same or not.

Please let us know if you have the time.

I must say that tirechains.com is fast. I ordered my chains on Thursday and had them Friday. I talked to them about tensioners on Friday, and had the right ones in my hands today, Monday.

Appreciate you help!

Bill

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910, also Honda HT3813 with mower and front blade.

Bill,

17 cross-links?!?[img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img] I thought when I counted mine I only had 14 or 15...I forgot which. Old age is tough!

You may have ended up with a better deal than the "correct" size chains would have given.

I don't dare say I got cheated lest I get accused of whining too![img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Now all we need is lots of snow.

~Rick

P.S. Bill, I was really expecting you to try to find a bigger tractor to fit the larger chains. Glad to hear you took the easy way out and stayed with the B2910!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910

I cut two cross links and associated side links off my TC29 chains to fit the kubota, took me longer to get the measurement correct and light the torch than do the job. If you had the smaller chain for the tire, it might put the side links in a location exactly opposite those bolt heads I mentioned. As it is, yours fit like mine do by placing that fastener below those close proximity bolts. I felt by cutting the larger ones down, I gained clearance on the inner fender I might not have had with the smaller chains. Count your blessings here, if you keep them tucked between the tread lugs, you should not have a problem. Those tightners are pretty fancy, how much were they?? I use assorted size rubber bungi cords to achieve what I want.

<font color=blue>Those tightners are pretty fancy, how much were they??</font color=blue>

They were $45 I think. From tirechains.com. Shipping would add to that though. I think they are pretty good.

The guy I questioned about the chains told me to pry the hook links at the end of the cross chains open, and slip the hooks off the side chains, and save the cross chains for later use when a cross chain breaks. Years down the road I hope.

I did that and it worked, but I don't know how I would have done it with out a large vise to hold the chain. I am sure doing so is a lot more work than using the torch though.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bill

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910

Yes the torch and the mallet, the two tools I want when I go on "survivor", a good anvil and a vise would be ok too.

Easiest way to open cross chain hooks is to use a long taper drift punch &amp; hammer while a helper holds the chain over the hardee hole on an anvil. If you don't have an anvil handy, a piece of 1" pipe positioned verticly works well too.
    It can be done without a second pair of hands, but it's much easier with a helper.

Hi,

What worked fine for me was holding the chain in the vise, and used a small crow bar to pry open the cross chain hooks a bit, and then used a piece of flat bar I had to pry them open a bit further. Was not too hard to do.

What I am calling a crow bar is a bar about 18 inches that is used for prying wood apart, something you would use when taking down an old wooden structure or when remodeling.

Happy Thanksgiving...Bill in Pgh, PA

Tractor
    NH TC30 Hydro

I use my dremel with a heavy duty cut off wheel to make chain. Of course it wouldn't be to handy on bigger chain but
    it works slick on smaller stuff.
    Those heavy cutoff wheels are the best accessory for the dremel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast