Quick hitch

/ Quick hitch #11  
Green will still be available for all our equipment. You know around these parts most people bleed green. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif We once had a guy ask if we would build a line of pink because he was selling a lot of tractors to women. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I thought it was a little sexist, but we gave him the numbers.

We don't build cylinders and to tool up for them would cost more than buying them for several years, so we are sourcing the cylinders and valves and adding the connection points. Trying now to get an idea of the variety of hardware needed to offer a setup to fit most popular tractors. Also have to setup an ultra low temp powder paint so we don't melt the seals during the cure.

We could use a little input. We have found that most tractors, if they ship from the factory with a toplink at all, go to owners who immediately end up buying another toplink of a different length. If folks from TBN would be kind enough to tell us their setup, ie tractor, most used implements and toplink size (min/max length), we can put together a "working man's" database. I really think most applications could be covered with a couple of cylinders. Of course, tilt is another matter, with lots of variations in cylinder connection points, but since you typically don't use as much of the stroke, we may be able to fit a good variety with just a couple of cylinders as well. We'll also probably have to call it something besides "Top n Tilt", but I haven't researched that yet.

This is one project I really look forward to testing. After years of wrestling implements around, then getting on and off and then off and on tractors to make adjustments, it will be fantastic to back up, connect and go, and make adjustments from the seat on the fly.

Another question. How about joystick control for top and tilt? Push forward to shorten, pull back to lengthen, left to tilt left and right to tilt right.

Thanks again for your input and well wishes.

/ Quick hitch #12  
Jim, I think the joystick control for Top 'N Tilt would certainly be an improvement over the two lever arrangement I had on my tractor. I considered that, but didn't find what I needed to do it.

/ Quick hitch #13  
<font color=blue>and toplink size (min/max length)</font color=blue>
Jim, what's the proper way to measure the max length, i.e., how far do you unscrew the ends?

/ Quick hitch #14  
<font color=blue>"How about joystick control for top and tilt? Push forward to shorten, pull back to lengthen, left to tilt left and right to tilt right."</font color=blue>

I had that very idea and suggested it in another thread here, Jim. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif It just seemed far more logical to me than two separate levers would be. It is so refreshing to see common sense like that being considered on the front end of the design and manufacturing process. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As to the 'Top and Tilt' name, for what it's worth, I believe that's what Deere calls theirs in their catalog. I also seem to recall reading on here that Ford/New Holland called theirs the same thing but it may have been 'Top 'n Tilt' or something like that. I guess that still leaves 'Top + Tilt' and 'Top & Tilt' to consider. Of course, there's always 'That two cylinder, hydraulic thing-a-ma-jig that goes on the three point hitch.' I'm pretty sure that name isn't copyrighted yet. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Quick hitch
Sounds great Jim.
What are we looking at for ballpark price?

/ Quick hitch #16  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freedomhitch.com/>http://www.freedomhitch.com/</A> Mark Chalkley, a knowledgeble fellow about small tractors, highly recommended this system. This is made by Midwest Industries in Ida Grove IA - different than Midwest Equipment, Harrisburg IL

/ Quick hitch #17  
Hi Jim:

I like the idea of the joy stick controller. But it might be more cost effective to utilize a diverter instead, one valve for both funtions. As for the name you might try Hydraulic Implement Assist. You can even have it for free no charge.

/ Quick hitch #18  
"We'll also probably have to call it something besides "Top n Tilt", but I haven't researched that yet"

How about "Twist 'n Roll"?

/ Quick hitch #19  
Re: Quick hitch(joy stick)

Bird
I found some joystick controls in the Surplus Center catalog, one being a 2 spool joystick w/float (first spool), made by Prince. It sells for $199 in the old catalog, and I cannot find my recent one to double check if it is still in their catalog. Thought some might be interested in checking it out. Handle not included, and looks like it is another $70.