Quick lift capacity question

/ Quick lift capacity question #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Just a quick clarification question...
I just bought an '02 Kubota L4610 (with the help of your forum people:D) and I have a question about lift capacity on the 3pt hitch.
Some specs I found on the internet say that the lift capacity is 2870lbs at the "lift point", then it says that it is 2310lbs at "24" behind lift point"
So my question is: is the lift point the point where the implements pins would connect to the 3pt lift arms? Like at the end of them?
So I assume the more realistic capacity is the second number, since your rarely, if ever, going to lift something right at the pins?
Thanks in advance, I know I have a lot to learn :laughing:

/ Quick lift capacity question #2  
So my question is: is the lift point the point where the implements pins would connect to the 3pt lift arms? Like at the end of them?

So I assume the more realistic capacity is the second number, since your rarely, if ever, going to lift something right at the pins?

Yes to both of those

/ Quick lift capacity question
Thanks!

/ Quick lift capacity question #4  
To add to what Bear Foot Farm said, the lift capacity of the 3PH is often more than the tractor can operate with without additional front ballast, suitcase weights, or a loader to counterbalance such a high load. Keeping weight on the front tires is absolutely necessary for good steering and safe operation as it is also on the rear tires if you have a heavy load on the FEL. If you got an operator's manual with the tractor, it should have ballast info. If you didn't get an operator's manual, may I suggest that it would be a great first purchase. Repair/maintenance manuals are also good investments, but nearly as important as the op man'l.

I do need to buy an owners manual because it didn't come with one, also I want to get the service manual. Any good websites you recommend for them or just go to the dealer? It does have an LA852 loader on it that should provide plenty of ballast for anything I'm lifting.

/ Quick lift capacity question #6  
You might want to check with Messicks as they have a lot of good stuff.

/ Quick lift capacity question #7  
Piston:

The owners manual will show the maximum weight limits for different implements. For example, one of my Kubotas has a 2400# lift capacity 24" behind the pins, but the maximum recommended weight for a disc harrow is 600#. I suspect that is because none of the components in the lift system (from the rear axles through the axle housings, transmission case, three point hitch lift arms, etc.) are sufficient to carry the maximum weight if it is lifted and bounced around in typical farm/construction conditions.

A neighbor with a Kubota about the size of yours was pulling a ripper in his pasture, struck a large underground rock, and looked back to see the ripper, most of his three point hitch system, and large chunks from the transmission housing stuck on the rock. And that was a cast iron housing; I suspect the aluminum housings on the smaller tractors are even more prone to failure.

Quite a contrast to the days of my youth on the farm in the 1950's when 30 horsepower tractors weighed 5,000# and you did not worry much, if at all, about breaking those kinds of parts.

/ Quick lift capacity question #8  
you have a strong tractor, that loader can lift about 2000 lbs but you'll find if you max out either the 3ph or loader that the tractor will be somewhat scary to operate. I can't think of many things that would go on the 3ph that weighs 2000 lbs or more, unless you're talking about really heavy ag implements, which possibly would require more HP at the PTO than your tractor can supply.

No the only thing that I lift that weighs 2,000lbs or more are large logs for the sawmill, but that is few and far between and only when I'm milling 16-18' and 28" DBH logs, which I don't have many of, but those few situations are what I'm curious about.

I certainly don't have any implements that heavy, my heaviest will be a box blade but I dont even have that yet, so far the heaviest is a woods brush mower, and thats nothing really.