starting out....

/ starting out.... #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi guys, I'm a 17 year old from Washington who works at a Nursery operating a 580b case backhoe. My boss owns another 580B extendahoe with a thumb and a fiat-allis wheel loader. I was just curious to know which is better to do when starting your own company. Buying smaller machines first or to get a big machine like a backhoe, trailer and dump truck (obviously)? It almost seems that some routes that people take is just as expensive in buying a backhoe, trailer etc. so I'd just like some input on what you have done and what you bought to start out with. Thanks.

Blake Iverson
WA

P.S. I'm also curious to know what type of machines you have and what type of jobs is better to use that particular machine. If you're on the lawnsite.com website too, then you've already seen this so just ignore this post. Thanks. :)

/ starting out....
I suspect that folks will be able to help you better if you describe the kind of work you want to do!

/ starting out....
Jim, what a good idea! :) Well, I want to do rockeries, clearings, big and small, foundation digging (the stuff that requires an excavator I'm going to wait on as they are very expensive), any type of utilities work if I'm needed, site preps. etc. That sort of thing. I know that I want a 580C case extendahoe, then I'm hoping to put a thumb on it like my boss's husband did, and use that until I can buy more equipment. But I'm just not sure whether I should start out with smaller stuff, like a Kubota b21 or L35 or just go for saving up money to buy a dump truck (7 yrd. or something), trailer and my 580C.

Blake
WA

/ starting out.... #4  
I would start out w/ a SSL similar to my JD 250,
I have a 9' Woods hoe, 4' trencher,forks,multiple
buckets,tracks, an adapter to use 3 pt. equipment
like my box blade or 8' landscape rake or the
10.5' leveling blade.
I'm looking at a HPD and a preperator for some
extra work.
If it wasn't for already working 10 hrs. a day,
I could make $400.00 a day w/ an SSL.
Yard work, utility lines, garage footers, septic work,
driveways,prep for polebarns,landscaping,etc........
U can pull it w/ p/u truck or small dump.

/ starting out.... #5  
Welcome to TBN Blake. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

There been alot posted on the topic your seeking..try search..at the top of the page,than set back w/cup coffee and read a way on some good info.

Hows everything in KOG. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ starting out.... #6  
Can you work on your own stuff? If so I would try to find a used big loader/back hoe like the 580. They seem to run almost forever. As for the dump truck, same thing. I have seen some older[we are talking older, like late 70's] go for a good price. May need a little work, but easyer to work on then the newer stuff, and a LOT cheaper. Get a old dump, trailer, and loader/backhoe, and work it. See what you like, don't like about what you have. Save up some money. Upgrade your equment later, when you got the cash, and experance. Good luck, and get ready for some hard work./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ starting out.... #7  
Blake, I'm hardly an expert in small business (as I sit here in my coorporate cubicle surrounded by Dilbert paraphenalia) but it seems to me you're trying to base your new venture on equipment rather than on customers. In any business the customers are far more important than the equipment. Figure out what they want and what they'll pay for it. Good old fashioned supply and demand will tell you where the money is.

My own observations around here are that foundation digging is probably not where the money is for a start up. Plenty of supply for that demand. Again, I haven't done the research but I would bet there is money to be made in low impact landscaping/small excavation. I could probably make something of a killing with a mini-excavator and some other small equipment putting in water gardens and such for the local rollers. Do it without disturbing a single blade of their pristine grass and they'll be calling back for more. Good luck with your ventures /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ starting out.... #8  
Great advice Robbie..! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Merely having some equipment, doesn’t give one an “instant” business…

I’m sure a lot of guys have the best of intentions… but without a few years of hands-on experience and techniques under your belt… it could end up being a formula for disappointment or worse yet… disaster…

/ starting out.... #9  
I would suggest at 17 you keep working for the guy you're with or move on to another company where you can run heavy equipment. Don't buy a new car, spend money on girls, etc, etc. Save your money and get some invaluable experience and business sense. I know you think you know it all at 17, heck I sure thought I did, but there is alot more to operating a business than buying equipment. Get three or four years under your belt and learn all the ins and outs of the industry. I don't mean to be harsh but if you have to ask what kind of equpment to buy you aren't ready yet to even think about starting. It's hard to make it on your own and with todays regulations and such you need to know your business. Get a good business and marketing plan. Know who your customer base is going to be and exactly what kind of work you are going to go after. Then buy the equipment to accomplish those goals and do that kind of work. As you get more work and things are going well then you can branch out into other areas of work and buy more machinery. Get your ducks in a row, some experinece under your belt, and you will go far. Best of luck to you.

/ starting out.... #10  
<font color=blue>Well, I want to do rockeries, clearings, big and small, foundation digging (the stuff that requires an excavator I'm going to wait on as they are very expensive), any type of utilities work if I'm needed, site preps. etc. That sort of thing.</font color=blue>

I'll echo what cowboydoc said. Go work for an excavation contractor for a couple years. Big difference digging a foundation hole vs. uprooting a tree. You'll get lots of experience without the expensive equipment loans, insurance etc.

Do you have a Commercial drivers license? You'll need one to drive the big trucks & tow a full size backhoe or excavator.

Also, do you have any official training or certification on the backhoe? That plus your experience using one plus the CDL that you're going to get /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif should get you a job pretty fast.

Last tid bit, I'm assuming that at 17 you are a senior in high school, make sure you graduate, more & more employers want you to have that diploma. While you're working check out the local community college for some small business courses.

Once you've got some experience, you can even work slowly into your own business by moonlighting. Alot of times you can rent equipment for a weekend and only have to pay for 1 day. This should allow you to do some smaller jobs that your new boss may not be interested in etc. Then you can slowly build up your customer base & before you know it, you'll be ready to go on your own.

Good luck & If you're really dedicated you will make it happen.