How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold....

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #22  
Interesting to read all the posts about the cold. Just got done watching the news and check this out. Temperatures will be 20 to 30 degrees warmer tomorrow than they were today and we still won't be above freezing. You guys are right on with how the conditions can make you feel. The wind chill the last two days was -20 but the coldest I have ever felt was a couple of years ago in April. Temps were in the low 30's with a steady 30 mph wind blowing around that cold moist air. My Dad and Grandpa worked at the meat packing plant and have really thick gloves with a rubber coating that they used in the freezers. We use them when moving snow on the non cab tractor. There have been days where we switch off every 20 minutes to warm up. Then we got smart and got a plow for the truck and a tractor with a cab:thumbsup:

Ray

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #23  
He's seems to be a really great kid. Enthusiastic. There's worse things for a kid to be fixated with.

I think he's trying to catch up to my post count.:laughing: :D But being on here keeps us youguns' busy. it gives us a place to learn from others experiences and express our opinions on tractors. :thumbsup:

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #24  
There is something about the cold that is different too.
When I got home to my warm 33 degree winter, I was cold again. :(

Yeah, it's "a dry cold"...:laughing:

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #25  
Johndeere3720 said:
I think he's trying to catch up to my post count.:laughing: :D But being on here keeps us youguns' busy. it gives us a place to learn from others experiences and express our opinions on tractors. :thumbsup:

Well it shows that you are young... Quantity vs quality...

Just kidding...

I'd rather see you here with all you learn that what I have seen elsewhere...

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #26  
I too am missing August.

There is something to what your "use" to. One-hundred degrees doesn't bother me much. Get hot, find a shade tree, drink some liguids, and you cool off. Mornings like the last few at 20F and a notable northern breeze are absolutely inhumane to me.

H-a-t-e i-t. Everything is cold. You can't stand under a tree and "warm up."

I work with some Northern transplants and they're giddy over the way the natives react to low temps. They show up in wind-breakers not missing a beat and we are burning office furniture for heat.

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #28  
The dozer looks like fun, but on a nice day it will beat you up something fierce. On a freezing cold day, it will punish you down to yoru bones and then some. The cold starts at your feet. 40,000 pounds of steel will never warm up no matter how lond you run it at full throttle. It just gets colder and more painful. I really don't know of anything like it, and have done it enough times to realize that I'm not very smart, and it doesn't get any better.

I'm a fair weather, warm day, type of tractor guy!!!!!

Eddie

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #29  
Cold is kind of relative, especially it seems, to your age.
I would hate to have to work again when it's really cold; these old bones just can't seem to handle it any more.

I remember when I used to live in Alaska some 40 years ago.
A cold spell broke one time and it went from -60 up to -50.
It actually felt considerably warmer.

And when spring finally came and overnight it went from -40 to -20, I can remember going out with just an extra shirt on, thinking how warm it had suddenly become.

But now, here in Arkansas and no longer a young guy, I have to really bundle up just to get out in this mid 20's for a while.

/ How a Texan operates his tractor in the cold.... #30  
I like the cold weather in Texas better than the hot weather here in summer. To me what the shade tree in August offers is survival, not "cooling". But 30 degrees here feels alot colder than 30 degrees in New Mexico or Colorado when we go skiing. Its the humidity and wind that does it.

I unloaded my new smoker on about 12/1/10 and my tractor has not been used since that day.