Pulling with 3pt, power, ability.

/ Pulling with 3pt, power, ability. #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
Just wondering what type of loads people have pulled on their tractors. I have a farmall M, and a mahindra 2816. I have pulled much firewood with the farmall and know it can pull quiet well, but have little experience with the mahindra. What could I expect to pull with this tractor. And has anyone damaged their 3pt in any fashion pulling too much, as I have no experience with the 3pt.

/ Pulling with 3pt, power, ability. #2  
The 3pt hitch was designed to pull ground engaging equipment, so you shouldn't need to worry about damaging any of the 3pt hardware as long as the hardware was well designed. This is true if you are pulling and not pushing with it, as the hitches are weaker when pushing. You may want to search on the subject of pulling with the drawbar, and why that is the prefered method for certain types of work.
-Jim

/ Pulling with 3pt, power, ability. #3  
With the 2816, you will almost certainly loose traction (spin wheels) before you damage your 3ph. As long as the load is centered the 3ph is designed to handle a pulling load.

/ Pulling with 3pt, power, ability. #4  
On a tractor you should be pulling via the axle mounted draw bar. Pulling from the 3 point other than plows and ground engagement implements is dangerous and a quick way to flip a tractor.

Chris

/ Pulling with 3pt, power, ability.
Thanks for the replies. Well I pull heavy loads often in offroad terrain all my life, with J5 bombardiers, and in the forestry when I worked there. Though Ive only used the old track with one axle wagons, the 3pt set up is different. Most times when we are "hauling" its in rough terrain with the J5 or such, and I wouldnt even try with the little tractor, but for roads, paths, or fields, I was wondering what type of load I could pull with. I know with the drawbar on the mahindra, it is designed to pull, but with no weight on it, so a four wheel wagon would have to be used. But with the 3 point I can have some drawbar weight. I would really like to build a haywagon however and prefer to leave the 3pt for implements only. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• 2010 07 23 035.jpg
    2010 07 23 035.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 216
   / Pulling with 3pt, power, ability. #6  
Pulling with the 3PH CAN be dangerous but depends on what you are pulling. The 3PH doesn't limit upward travel. So there is nothing preventing you from flipping over if you are pulling something like a log with the hitch raised. Also, of a trailer has very little tounge weight, and you need to stop suddenly, the 3PH can raise all the way up and overextend causing damage to parts.

I pull trailers and logs both with the 3PH. But you have to be smart and use common sense. If not, bad things can happen in the blink of an eye.

Yeah, and that I would be scared of. Not so much for myself, as I would use caution on smooth terrain and slow speeds, but I purchased the tractor for my parents to use, and I would be nervous of it coming forward with a sudden stop. I would probably chain it down to the draw bar. Better again would be a small hay wagon. I would like to build it probably instead of buying, would anyone know of a thread on here for building a haywagon, or where I can find the gear to make one. We have the welding , and plasma and much still available so that wouldnt be a problem, mostly the king pins and such. Thanks again.

/ Pulling with 3pt, power, ability. #8  
Doesn't your Mahindra have a draw bar? If yes hook the hay wagon to that and you don't have to worry about the 3 point lift.

Roy

I need to get the hay wagon, I see a few thread here of peoples haywagons, but it seems like mostly purchased wagons. Dont see many homemade. I would like to make one so I dont have to use the 3pt. And we have many "wagons" for some of the larger tractors in offroad conditions, but a haywagon would be versatile here because I can load it up and hook onto it afterwards without having to pick up a heavy drawbar. Any ideas or post that you know of for finding the gear to make one? The hubs I can pick up, but not sure how to make the pins to allow the front wheels to pivot.