What does diesel gelling look like?

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #11  
Another thing you can do if in a bind and your machine starts gelling is add some isopropyl alcohol{I like the 90% but 70% will work}. It does not take much and you should notice a difference within a few minutes or less. I would also recommend mixing kero.

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #12  
Alcohol won't work with gelling. It's insoluble in alcohol.

Only works with water/icing, but I think use of alcohol is generally not recommended in diesel. It isn't very soluble in it. Even if you use alcohol in gasoline, it'll come out of solution with the water, if there is much water there. Won't freeze, but alcohol/water drops or globs don't combust too well.

Ralph

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #14  
I've had the fuel filter plug up twice in the winter on my Kubota Bx. They filter just looked a little bit dark colored. I cut it open one time, nothing obivious in terms of it being gelled. I never knew if it was just dirty, or gelled to some degree you couldn't see.

Last edited:
   / What does diesel gelling look like? #15  
Gizmo 2 -you have paraffin separating. Plugged that puppy up pretty quick too, but it can be heated out with hair dryer? Most people would have a spare filter, and replace it. I have used power service with good results. jy.

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #16  
it could be possible you had a slug of ice in the system, with today's poor
quality fuel supply water in all fuel is a big problem, at least around here.

as far as kerosene goes, we recommend cutting down to 50/50 as
long as a quality conditioner is used along with the extra kero to
give proper lube to pump. (for below 0 weather). normally,
the winter blend is adequate, again, with conditioner of some
sort.

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #17  
Most people would have a spare filter,
I do now. Problem I had with this incident was I clean everything up, reinstalled and it did the same thing again, instantly. After the second time around I was good to go.

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #18  
All this talk about gelling of Diesel fuel makes me nervous being a novice tractor operator as well as a Northern Vermonter. What dictates when one should plug in their tractor before operation---What temperature? My tractor has a heating block I am just not sure when to use it. I am sure this has been covered in this forum at one point. So far this winter no issue with starting. I do not depend on my tractor in the winter. However, I do like to use it to beat back some of the big snow piles from encroaching on us. Any advice would be appreciated.

:thumbsup:

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #19  
I do now. Problem I had with this incident was I clean everything up, reinstalled and it did the same thing again, instantly. After the second time around I was good to go.

Ha, Now that sounds like my world. I learned the rule of spare parts. I have driven road diesels regularly since 1984. Murphy's law is always rampant around diesels. I hope my Bota is more user friendly on the rough service. Jy.

/ What does diesel gelling look like? #20  
It looks like wax, because it IS wax (paraffin primarily) .

The fact that it started up again after 1/2 hour indicates that there was probably some heat soak going on and it melted back into solution.
Mercedes USED TO suggest up to 30% gasoline as a winter "blend" in situations where winter blend isn't available - though I think this might have been as an emergency measure only.
I sometimes consider a 10% to 20% mix when the temperature drops suddenly and I know I still have summer fuel in the tank - then I check and top up with the local seasonal blend.