No glow plugs - heater

/ No glow plugs - heater #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
My L4200's glow plug function just decided to die - appropriately as this is the first time in the 6 years I've owned the tractor that I am using it in the winter to run a snow blower. I've started it down to 20-25F this season so far w/o problem BUT my worry is those 0 degree mornings (like coming this weekend). My barn isn't heated, and always seems to be 10 degrees colder than outside, for some reason :).

Until I fix the glow plug issue, I was planning on just draping a sheet over the front of the tractor and cranking up a 1500W ceramic heater/fan that blows heat under it. There is no fire hazard, so don't worry about that. I figure 15 minutes of that should have the motor toasty. Any comments?

JayC

/ No glow plugs - heater #2  
I guess you have seen all the other posts about the glow plugs. The portable heater should work. I have had good luck using a 800 watt car interior warm up heater. I just came in from 5 F and I use my lower rad hose heater at 300 watts for 1 hr min 2 Hr max and I did not even use the glow plugs. I rolled it to start and it started like it was a summers day. They also magnetic 300 watt heaters.
As you will notice I have suggested smaller wattage heaters than 1500 W which will work provided you keep track of it.
Craig Clayton

/ No glow plugs - heater #3  
I figure 15 minutes of that should have the motor toasty. Any comments? JayC

15 minutes in a cold barn on cold cast iron should get the block from 10 degrees to 12 degrees. If that's enough, you should start. There might be a slight warming of the air cleaner/passageways to help you out.
I would think a couple of hours might help more.
Jim

/ No glow plugs - heater #4  
I gota agree with Jimmy here, it'll need more than 15 minutes.

/ No glow plugs - heater #6  
I have been caught in a similar situation and had a magnetic heater on hand (garage sale find).
I found it to be totally useless even leaving it on overnight.
IMHO a hair drier blowing into the intake would be better.
I just needed to wait a few days to get a new block heater and fortunately it did not snow in the meantime.
I can tell you that at -25 changing a block heater is no fun, but I got'er done!

/ No glow plugs - heater
Plugging in a block heater would be easier.

Not exactly. When you don't have a block heater, plugging it in is close to impossible :).

This heater-start is happening in two days.

JayC

/ No glow plugs - heater
15 minutes in a cold barn on cold cast iron should get the block from 10 degrees to 12 degrees. If that's enough, you should start. There might be a slight warming of the air cleaner/passageways to help you out.
I would think a couple of hours might help more.
Jim

Maybe. I'll bet its 100F under that sheet in 15 minutes though...

JayC

/ No glow plugs - heater #9  
I like the hair-dryer in the intake, if all else has failed. I don't have block heater. Jy.

/ No glow plugs - heater #10  
Maybe. I'll bet its 100F under that sheet in 15 minutes though...

JayC

That doesn't mean the engine is anywhere near that. You still have to put enough BTUs into the large chunk of cast iron to raise the temp, as well as all the oil and coolant. It is a lot of mass to heat up, and it will still be shedding heat via the bellhousing, transmission and anything else not under your cover.

I would bet that it would take at least 1 hour to warm it up an appreciable amount. Remember, your 1500 watts of heat are having to heat they air, which is then heating the tractor. Air is a lousy method to conduct heat this way.