Too Cold??

/ Too Cold?? #1  

Airedale

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 30 - TYM T433 Cab - Power King 1614
I have had no problems starting and running my current diesel tractor, a TYM or the Kubota I had previously in temps that get into the teens. I have always used seasonal road fuel from a station close to me and add the power service additive. My tractors are kept inside my unheated barn

As many already know in the Northern part of the country a good cold snap is coming in, they are predicting temps well below zero in my neck of the woods. I also expect a good shot of lake effect snow. So there looks like there is going to be some major snow removal to take place and at the same time there will be sub zero weather.

My question is does there come a point where the temps become so low that they interfere with these tractor's diesel engines where they can not be operated properly even if they get started and warmed up???

Al

/ Too Cold?? #2  
I have had no problems starting and running my current diesel tractor, a TYM or the Kubota I had previously in temps that get into the teens. I have always used seasonal road fuel from a station close to me and add the power service additive. My tractors are kept inside my unheated barn

As many already know in the Northern part of the country a good cold snap is coming in, they are predicting temps well below zero in my neck of the woods. I also expect a good shot of lake effect snow. So there looks like there is going to be some major snow removal to take place and at the same time there will be sub zero weather.

My question is does there come a point where the temps become so low that they interfere with these tractor's diesel engines where they can not be operated properly even if they get started and warmed up???

Al

Al, I live in northern Michigan, and yes, this week's weather is brutal.
That said, we still cannot compare ourselves to the guys in Manitoba or Alaska and those fellas will tell you that they go right on working.

Good preventative maintenance, good 5w- something oil for easier starts, a block heater, sometimes a battery heater, proper warm up procedures and you are good to go.

Folks in northern Europe, the Ukraine, Korea, etc, all have similar challenges and diesel tractors are all working in sub zero weather.

I gotta go plow out the barn and some lanes today. Yea, it's cold.

/ Too Cold?? #3  

Al

No. As long as the fuel is properly treated. You may need to idle the tractor at a little higher RPM to get it to warm up.

-17* here this morning with no issues.

/ Too Cold?? #4  
There are so many posts about this subject. when you get it running let it come up to operating temperature. Restrict engine cooling with the oldest trick in the book a piece of carboard cut to fit the rad with a round hole in the middle.
Craig Clayton

/ Too Cold?? #5  
Restrict engine cooling with the oldest trick in the book a piece of carboard cut to fit the rad with a round hole in the middle.

Used to be a regular seen item even on cars.:D

/ Too Cold?? #6  
As someone else said -- fuel must be properly treated -- I once had an entire fleet of diesel trucks shut down because summertime fuel was "jelling" in the tanks and lines. Otherwise, once started they will run:thumbsup:

/ Too Cold?? #7  
I think the Power Service (white bottle) is rated down to -40* as long as you mix it accordingly.

/ Too Cold?? #8  
we were hauling grain today at -33c with -41 wind chill and i actually have no conditioner in the tractor loading . I don't think i've ever had a tractor gell on me , plow trucks frequently do on snow removal though.

/ Too Cold?? #9  
Keep a few new fuel filters on hand, at about 0 is when you may begin to have problems and the filter will generally be the first thing to clog with wax. To check for cloud point might be a good idea to store a small quantity of diesel in a clear container next to the tractor.

/ Too Cold?? #10  
i've ever had a tractor gell on me , plow trucks frequently do on snow removal though.

Do you have different diesel in the tractor's and the trucks? On road and farm?:confused: