Tractor not warming up

/ Tractor not warming up
It's a case ih c50 and I just got it this winter so I don't know how it runs in warmer weather. I would say it was 25 f or so. Not so mechanically inclined so I am not so sure how I will figure out the thermostat but will check the manual. More info on that would be helpful

/ Tractor not warming up #13  
I would also say thermostat. To be more precise, the thermostat is stuck in the open position.
My belief is the cooler an engine can run the better for the engine.
The thermostat (as in a car) keeps the engine hot enough for the heater core to work for human comfort.

Hmmm why does my tractor have a thermostat?

If that was the case, over the road semi's would not have shutters in front of the radiator.

/ Tractor not warming up #14  
Well I'm not sure if this applies but some NH tractors have a bypass from the engine to the radiator which will prevent the tractor warming up. I installed a valve in this bypass and it did work. I just did a search for a thread about this with no luck, but I suck at search. Someone more smarter than me will post a link licketysplit I am sure. And someone will know if this applies to your Case.

/ Tractor not warming up #15  
I'm not familiar with your tractor, but as a general rule, when looking at your engine and radiator, there is a big hose running from the top of your radiator to the front of your engine. This hose connects to a metal fitting that is then bolted to the engine. Remove those two or three bolts, that hose and fitting will pull off, exposing your thermostat. Pay attention to how it goes in there. You can just pull it out. This is going to spill coolant, so have a drip pan ready to catch fluids. If you leave it open for any amount of time, put clean rags in thermostat hole and the hose. When looking at the thermostat, there is the flat round outer diameter, and a flat round disc with a spring in the center. At room temp. the disc should be flat against the outside ring. if it's not, replace it. If it is, put in a pan on the stove in warm water. Heat the water while monitoring the water temp. with a thermometer, and it should start opening up around 160*F to 180*F as Gerard stated. If this works, your good. If it is wide open long before that, it needs replaced. If it doesn't open at all it also needs replaced. I hope this helps and is easy to get to. I'll try to check back often so don't be afraid to ask questions. If there is anybody familiar with this tractor, please chime in if I missed anything. Good luck!!

/ Tractor not warming up #16  
Check the T-stat or better yet spend $5 and replace it. You may find it missing all together since you bought it used.

Chris

/ Tractor not warming up #17  
If that was the case, over the road semi's would not have shutters in front of the radiator.
There are no shutters on the 2002 freightliner I'm running now, nor were there shutters on the 2009 Prostar I was running a year and a half ago, or the other 'half dozen' Internationals, nor the Volvos I drove over the past ten years.

/ Tractor not warming up #18  
In general diesels need to run hot for best combustion ~195 deg. When they run cooler you will generally get more soot in the exhaust etc. I also would check the thermostat. You might get a non contact thermometer to get an idea what the motor is running at.

/ Tractor not warming up #19  
Did some semi heavy work today w my new to me tractor and noticed again that it won't get out of the yellow in the engine temp gauge, had the tractor running at least an hour at around 1500rpm(540 pto is right around 2100rpm) I know the gauge works, cause when I start her up, she's well below. Any ideas?

Sounds OK to me. Your CaseIH C50 engine is about the same size as my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto). Last Wednesday I ran my 8-ft wide cultivator over my hayfield for about 90 minutes in 4L at pto speed (1950 rpm) and the temp gauge read about 140F (air temp ~45F).

/ Tractor not warming up #20  
It's possibly had the thermostat removed completely, or it's stuck in the open position. Here's an easy way to check. While cold, remove the radiator cap, then start the engine. the thermostat blocks coolant from returning from the engine to the radiator via the upper radiator hose. When the thermostat is closed, the coolant on top of the radiator (looking down where the radiator cap was) is calm. Once the thermostat opens, you'll see the coolant moving, as hot coolant is pumped in through the upper radiator hose. If the thermostat is missing or stuck open, once the engine starts you'll see the coolant moving and flowing over the top of the radiator.

OR

You could just buy a new thermostat. They cost like $10. They don't last forever, so if you change it it's one less thing that can fail later, and in my experience they are more likely to stick CLOSED than open. And that's a problem.