Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #1  

Farmer Bobby

Tractor
John Deere GP
I have an old ('61) Bobcat with a single cylinder Lombardini air cooled diesel. I use it daily to move round bales of hay to feed our livestock. Have not had a starting issue until last night when it was close to zero. Finally started after over 5 minutes of cranking. This engine does not have any provision for glowplugs or block heater. Also has an oil bath air cleaner.

Does anyone know of a heater which would work with this engine?

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #2  
I have an old ('61) Bobcat with a single cylinder Lombardini air cooled diesel. I use it daily to move round bales of hay to feed our livestock. Have not had a starting issue until last night when it was close to zero. Finally started after over 5 minutes of cranking. This engine does not have any provision for glowplugs or block heater. Also has an oil bath air cleaner.

Here's what I do with my Massey when needed.

Electric oil-filled radiator style heater, put it next to the tractor, cover tractor and heater with a blanket. 1 hour later it's very warm and fires right up.

Radiator style electric heaters are fairly cheap.

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #3  
I've used a hairdryer on my ATV in very cold weather. Just leave it blowing on the engine for ten minutes and it gets warm enough to make a starting easier. Might work for you and be something close at hand.

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #4  
I've used a hairdryer on my ATV in very cold weather. Just leave it blowing on the engine for ten minutes and it gets warm enough to make a starting easier. Might work for you and be something close at hand.

Could point a hairdryer at the air intake to preheat the air going into the engine, sort of like the grid preheater that the Dodge trucks use.

Aaron Z

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #5  
For air cooled engines you need hot air to warm the cylinder. I have used a 800 watt car interior heater with it blowing on the cylinder. A large heat lamp in the 300 watt range like a brooder or fast food restaurant warming rack.
Craig Clayton

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #7  

One of those oil fired torpedo heaters aimed at the pan and the cylinders would heat it up pretty quickly.

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #8  
I used to hang an el cheapo 1500W household portable heater by a wire on the intake side of the air cooled engine on my old Belarus tractor. Never failed to start (was in an unheated garage).

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel
Thanks for all the great replies and ideas!!! I think the best way would be to find a method of preheating the air before it enters the engine. Given that it has a very large oil bath air cleaner, and that space is limited, I would have to heat the short (4-5") air inlet pipe between the aircleaner and head.

The last two days while it was below zero, I used my Bernz-A-Matic torch with smallest tip to heat the air tube. Problem is that to reach it, the torch is inclined tip down, and it kept flaming out. Did the job and engine started fairly rapidly, even at 10 degrees below.

Thanks again!

Bob in NH

/ Heater for Lombardini Aircooled Diesel #10  
Another heater to consider would be a plug in electric oil pan heater that magnetically attaches to the outside of the pan or flat area of the block.

It will not warm the intake air but should make cranking easier.

Aircooled blocks are tough to warm as they give heat up so rapidly to the air.