Alternative snow clearing techniques.....

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #11  
ABINGTON, Mass. (CBS) - Among the many unpleasantries that can come from living in northern regions is being forced to shovel hundreds of pounds of snow during winter months.

A Massachusetts man found a way around that this winter. According to police, he was blowing up snow banks to avoid shoveling them.

Low J. Powers, 23, of Abington, Mass., has been charged with threats to commit a crime and possession of incendiary devices, reports the Patriot Ledger.

Abington Police Chief David Majenski told the Patriot Ledger his department was tipped off about Powers explosive snow clearing, and they tracked the offender down to a rooming house.

Eventually, Police discovered Powers had "military-grade ammunition and other stuff, including powders of some sort" at his former address, the Patriot Ledger reports. The powder turned out to be an explosive of some kind, and these were the materials he had been using to blow up snow banks, police allege.

After being arrested, Powers had his firearms license revoked, and he surrendered a pistol and a shotgun to police, the Patriot Ledger reports. Powers claims to have gotten his bomb materials at gun shows.

What a crock. Effin' Massachusetts. Doesn't sound like, "threats to commit a crime" to me, just creative storm clean-up. Massholes were probably just jealous because his method was more effective than the town's cleanup effort.

I used to work with a guy who used dynamite to clear his driveway all the time - just lob a few sticks out there and *poof* no more snow. This guy was probably using Pyrodex or, at worst, Tannerite, or something similar. Pshaw. I'm so glad I live across the border. I be pissed is someone tried to arrest me for blowing up snow banks.

JayC

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #12  
What a crock. Effin' Massachusetts. Doesn't sound like, "threats to commit a crime" to me, just creative storm clean-up. Massholes were probably just jealous because his method was more effective than the town's cleanup effort.

I used to work with a guy who used dynamite to clear his driveway all the time - just lob a few sticks out there and *poof* no more snow. This guy was probably using Pyrodex or, at worst, Tannerite, or something similar. Pshaw. I'm so glad I live across the border. I be pissed is someone tried to arrest me for blowing up snow banks.

JayC

Thanks for reminding me, I need more Tannerite for Springtime. :D

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #13  
I saw a guy on the Weather Channel cleaning his walks with a walk behind lawnmower.

I seem to recall a picture of a certain member using his mid mount mower to clear snow.
I guess you do what you have to do.:D

Chris

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #14  
When I was a teenager we had a neighbor who was a Florida transplant. When we had our first snow, we of course were out there shoveling snow the old fashion way. Let me say first that his house was built on a bit of hill, so he had a fairly steep 75 foot long driveway. Well he decided to use a bit of southern ingenuity and he pulled out his garden hose and just washed away the snow. He couldn't use his driveway or garage for a month.

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #15  
A farmer in the country noticed that a gentleman would fish at the lake (close to the farmer's house) and would always leave with a stringer full of fish. The fellow had a boat but a fishing pole was not to be seen. The farmer mentioned the situation to the lake ranger. The ranger then started watching this man and all that the farmer said was true! The man would arrive at the lake in the morning and by early afternoon, he had a stringer full of fish. The ranger dressed like a fisherman one day and approached the man. They exchanged pleasantries and the stranger asked the ranger in disguise to come fish with him. They boated for 45 minutes and arrived at a secluded spot. The stranger then pulled out a stick of dynamite.

Ranger: "I'm going to have to place you under arrest--I am a Ranger and you are fishing illegally!"

The stranger calmly lit the stick of dynamite and handed it to the ranger.

Stranger: "Are you gonna talk or fish?"

I love this joke. My dad told me the same joke when I was a kid. He was a preacher but he had a great sence of humor. I lost him Dec 1st, 2003. This joke brought back a good memory. Thanks.:)

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #16  
When the snow is less than an inch deep, I get out my leaf blower and blow the snow away. It is also a great way to clear the snow off a vehicle if it is parked outside.

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #17  
If I had a paved drive, I'd consider a rotary broom for light snow fall. I've seen it done using a skidsteer and thought it worked well if you don't put too much down pressure and wear out the bristles too quicly.

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #18  
crazyal said:
I'm guessing there must be a learning curve to using TNT to remove snow.

Several ounces of black powered would blow a snow pile to bits. No question about it. TNT requires permits and controlled materials.

Have any of you seen the episode of Pawn Stars where they shot a cannon ball with just a few hundred grains of powder. The stupid shall be punished.

~Kevin

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #19  
(Sarcasm on) Military Grade ammunition. Oh please save me from the nasty ammo which is so much more deadly than normal consumer grade ammo. Explosive powder. Oh no, maybe Black Powder which is technically an explosive but legal, along with "Military grade ammunition"

Firearm license revoked? Was he an FFL? Why did he have to surrender his pistol and shotgun? Guess they sell other things at gun shows other than the beef jerkey and jewlery.[/quote]
Be very glad you don't live in N.Y., If your charged and convicted of DUI, DWIP, or most any type of charge they will and want to go after and revoke your pistol permit.As we speak N.Y.S. politicians are drafting bills to limit size of clips you can own, and also one bill is that if you carry a sidearm you can not be within 1000' of a federal employee.
DevilDog:mad::mad:

/ Alternative snow clearing techniques..... #20  
Then again, it was a guy with explosives named "Low Powers"