Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors?

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #1  

Dr_Zinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
Just how fancy an ignition and emission controls should a tractor really have?
How many sensors do you really need on the engine and transmission?

And what about the comfort factor? A decent seat is great, but do you really need a craft-matic adjustable chair in it's place? I can see sticking a decent stereo in a harvester you're going to be living in for weeks at a time; but do your really need more than an iPad and headphones driving a CUT?

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #2  
It is a matter of degrees, if you are a pro that makes his living harvesting or running a large scale farm than those long days go easer and more efferent. Remember the more complex the more to go wrong.

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #3  
I would argue that anyone who doesn't accept electronics in their equipment at this point is living in the stone ages. Electronics in equipment have been around for years by now and are very well tested and proven. They have made tractors better in a lot of ways. It is a different set of skills needed by a mechanic to diagnose a problem now, but that doesn't necessarily make it worse.

I'm all for simplicity, and I love the muscle tractors of the late 70's early 80's, - heck I own a few Farmalls dating back to the early to mid 40's - but you have to admit, the new tractors are really much better. By better, I don't necessarily mean more reliable or longer lasting. What I mean is they are more productive, use much less fuel per horsepower, and are leaps and bounds more comfortable and easy to operate.

You may say sure, that may be so, but there is also much more to go wrong. Yes, there is. But all this technology is also very reliable at this point and users can expect hundreds if not thousands of trouble free hours.

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #4  
I'm afraid that emissions are here to stay. :( We missed the boat back in the 1960s. All the yuppies want the safety devices, and everybody wants "features" in their cars, trucks, at home and on their tractors. It's a sad state of affairs. Anybody seen the new drive-by-wire tractors?

Drive by wire tractor is probably better than the drive by wire cars.

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #5  
I was just talking with my wife the other day about this. It is allmost like we've gone full circle, we put _____in place to help make things easier to run and more dependable. Then we put ____ in place along with ______ and ______ and lets not forget ______in the end we're back where we started, a piece of equipment that won't run and a 100 different places/reason to check. I've allways said keep it simple, easier to run and keep check of. We do not have to lose comforts but we sure could cut down on all the extra bull that does nothing except waste money's. Now how about that 15% ethanol

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #6  
I heard that the newer version of my tractor went up by 3 hp, and all of that power gets used up in meeting the higher emission standard.

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #7  
They have their place for some for sure. I personally do not want electronics on my tractor, bad enough I do not have the tools needed to fix the electronics in my car. I do not need that headache on my tractors. I actually bought what may be the last tractor I will need, a 2009 McCormick C80L, NO electronics.

I used to be an electronic service engineer for a computer company back in the 80's, so I know a thing about them. The more whistles and bells we put on our systems, the more problems. We had a saying back then: Simple is fast, fine, and lasts a long time. Guarantee you I do not need to be paying a mechanic $80 an hour to chase down some electronic problem on my tractor 3 years after it is out of warranty because the computer thinks the hitch is down when it is up and will not let the tractor move. Oh and by the way that stupid sensor is buried in the bowels of the rear end.

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #8  
If you have a tractor that has bowels and a rear end you have some really old technology there..

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #9  
Yep, and a little caster oil keeps it goin'. :)

It's enough to make you glad it's not the good old days anymore..

/ Do computes and high-end electronics belong in tractors? #10  
it's certainly a tough call as to whether progress is always a good thing. i remember hearing what i'd consider "old timers" complaining about how carburetors are better than fuel injection because they can tinker with them. my experience has been that i'd rather have the fuel injection, because i don't have to tinker with it, and it's pretty much 100% reliable.

a valid point was made earlier about how much ends up in the scrap heap because the cost of repairs is too high now. in a few years i suspect a lot of hybrid and electric cars will be headed to an early grave because battery replacement on an older electric car isn't cost effective compared to buying another vehicle altogether. with tracors you have historically seen up to 50 years of service for many models, and as they become more complex, there certainly will come a time when a high-tech repair is not worth the cost, and that will be long before that 50 year time.

used tractor parts could always be kept for years with little care as to how they were stored, but as electronics become more common, used items will have to be carefully stored to prevent moisture damage. you can't leave a pile of circuit boards out along the fence line and scavenge parts off them years later, and manufacturers will stop carrying those parts long before the tractor wears out.

i don't have an answer to the question, and i'm not even certain i have a valid opinion. creature comforts and functionality increases are nice, but will i be happy with a shortened lifespan? will this help contribute to solid waste problems? we all need a crystal ball.