Chains Which Chains?

/ Which Chains? #1  

Grande

Tractor
Kubota L3010HST
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase chains (from tirechain.com) for my L3010 and can't decide between duo-grip or duo-grip with v-bars for added traction. Here in icy southern Vermont it does get a little slimey sometimes. Is simply having chains adequate or is the extra $$$ worth it for v-bars? Whaddaya think?

Thanks,
Jon P

/ Which Chains? #2  
Hi,

I don't know actually...

But I do know that you will only do it once! Too expensive to repeat the purchase.

Generally, if I am not sure which way to go in a case like this, I will go the "overkill" route, rather than wish I had later...

In my case I only had 2 link as the option for my B2910. I lusted for a L3010 when I saw the chain options available for that model. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Too late now...I bought the B2910...

Good luck...in your decision. I am sure others here will give you some great specific advice.

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ Which Chains? #3  
What is the area u are plowing?
Gravel, asphalt or ????
Gravel or dirt or mud get the best u can(V bars).
Concrete or asphalt go more conservative or
take chance on marking the surface.

/ Which Chains? #4  
Grande -- I had ordinary chains on my B1750 which worked just fine...until they ran into that slippery Vermont ice! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif With the L3010 I went with the Norse ice chains and absolutely love them! Under the right conditions Clementine can still slip a bit, but not so much that she gets into trouble. I have the v-bar chains on my ATV, and they do just as well on ice.

Any of the aggressive chains will damage pavement, however.

Pete

/ Which Chains?
Gents,

Thanks for the input. It sounds like V-bars are the right choice for my application. The only pavement I'll ever see will be the in the garage and that I can deal with. The uneven terrain is dirt gravel and often, ice.

Jon

/ Which Chains? #6  
I'd also go with the V bars as that is what 's on mine. My tires are much smaller diameter and on hard packed surface the V bars can ride pretty rough.
They will exspecially have an advantage on side slopes.

Egon

/ Which Chains? #7  
Grande, I just installed Duo-grip chains from Tirechain.com on Saturday. The chains really fit very well, and the amount of difference in traction was quite amazing. I was able to plow up a hill in 2wd, with the diff. locked, that I was having trouble climbing in 4wd, not plowing. I haven't had a chance to try them on ice, yet, but I would think if you have constant, heavy ice, the v-bars would be the only way to go. Oh, I have an L3010 with R4 tires.

/ Which Chains?
Elmo,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do the same. Are you plowing with your tractor? If so, by what method, i.e., bucket, blower, blade, etc.?

Grande

/ Which Chains? #9  
Grande, I have a Landpride RBT1584- 7 ft. rear blade that I plow with, I use the ft. bucket to pile snow in tight areas. I'm collecting parts to build a variation of the overpriced Kubota ft. blade setup for future use.