source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging?

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #1  

Ken P

Tractor
Kubota B2410
Folks -

Sadly, there is a likelihood that I will soon need to dig a place for one of my beloved dogs (we are still doing chemo, but things aren't going especially well) . And, of course, we are having one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record here in northern CT. I'm wondering if there is a source for a bolt on ripper tooth for my woods 6500 BH (on a kubota B2410) that might be able to dig, or if this is just going to be too much for the machine to even try.

I may even need this sort of a tool just to get down to the ground. Thoughts, advice, sources? Thanks very much -

Ken

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #2  
Ken there is someone here who has had one made from somewhere in Michigan. It's a replacement for the bucket. His original intent was to use it for ripping root and digging up stumps. Do a search.

Wedge

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #3  
Electric blanket to thaw. Sorry about your dog.

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #4  
Folks -

Sadly, there is a likelihood that I will soon need to dig a place for one of my beloved dogs (we are still doing chemo, but things aren't going especially well) . And, of course, we are having one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record here in northern CT. I'm wondering if there is a source for a bolt on ripper tooth for my woods 6500 BH (on a kubota B2410) that might be able to dig, or if this is just going to be too much for the machine to even try.

I may even need this sort of a tool just to get down to the ground. Thoughts, advice, sources? Thanks very much -

Ken

Sorry to hear your pet is not doing well. That's always a tough one.

Couple of ideas:
Dig down through the snow and find out if the ground is frozen and how deep. If you can't put a pick axe into it with a decent swing, or get a heavy spade to penetrate, the tractor FEL may not do much either. A lot depends on the soil type, heavy clay would be worst if frozen.

If it is frozen up like a rock, consider building a fire on top of the ground and keep it burning for several hours. This will melt the ground frost for you.

If all that fails, check with your vet for pet cremation services in your area. You can get your pet's ashes returned to you and perhaps bury them in the Spring.

I sure hope all that isn't needed.
Dave.

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #5  
The ground has had so much snow cover for so long that I bet the ground is not frozen that deep, snow is a great insulator. You could test an area near where you need to dig and see how bad it is with a pick axe.My sympathies about your dog . I lost 2 dogs this fall one was 14 and one was 13.

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #6  
Go to michironandequip.com. They are located in Morrice, MI 517) 625-4590 and talk to Robert Piro. He worked well with me on making a change to the original design. I have the tooth on my Woods BH90-X.
Sorry for your initial need of the tooth, just try to remember the better days past.

Attachments

• MIE BH Tooth1.JPG
    MIE BH Tooth1.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 339
   / source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #7  
I have the same ripper as nickel plate and it works extremely well but may be overkill for a single application.

Do you have a box blade? Just lower a few tines and rip up the soil.

The other device I have that could be used is a heavy steel ?root cutter bar. They sell them at Home Depot and HF. Basically a six foot by one inch metal bar with a heavy forged blade on one end and a flat pounding stock on the other end. Weighs about 40 lbs. Just lifting and dropping it from a foot high will cut through frozen ground and you can use it as a lever to break up the soil too.

Sorry about your dog. I had mine cremated and that is another option.

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #8  
Sorry to hear your pet is not doing well. That's always a tough one.

Couple of ideas:
Dig down through the snow and find out if the ground is frozen and how deep. If you can't put a pick axe into it with a decent swing, or get a heavy spade to penetrate, the tractor FEL may not do much either. A lot depends on the soil type, heavy clay would be worst if frozen.

If it is frozen up like a rock, consider building a fire on top of the ground and keep it burning for several hours. This will melt the ground frost for you.

If all that fails, check with your vet for pet cremation services in your area. You can get your pet's ashes returned to you and perhaps bury them in the Spring.

I sure hope all that isn't needed.
Dave.

Sorry for your loss, winter burial is way too much work, (I've done it twice). The last time we went with cremation and spring burial, it's the way to go. Plant a tree at the same time.

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #9  
Sorry to hear about your pup. I would say that it is unlikely the ground in your area is frozen what with the amount of snow and your location. The ground up here isn't that frozen yet as we have had an 'easy' winter so far.

/ source for bolt-on ripper tooth for frozen ground digging? #10  
Hi Ken, sorry to hear about your dog.

Our 13 year old Shepherd died two weeks ago today, so I've recently dealt with this same dilemma.

As old as he was, we knew it was coming & had discussed what to do. I had thought to bury him here myself but in the end we had him cremated. It would have been impractical with our tractor & frozen ground.

Also, not to be morbid, but the thought of the other critters digging him up was not comforting. This is a lean time of year for them & I know when I have buried the odd dead chicken (or expired chicken predator) they are often uncovered by someone else even though I thought they were fairly deep.

We opted for a private cremation, which was about $200 & will have our last time with him in the spring.

Best wishes, Ted