Ballast In search of weights

/ In search of weights #11  
I have one Yanmar weight amongst my John Deere weights, and it has to be 5 - 10 lbs heavier

I just checked my Yanmar 186D manual. It says the weights are 44 pounds/20 kg. It says you can use up to 3 but it shows 5 in the picture. The Yanmar is one place that I want more weight. Right now I have 3 steel slabs bolted to the front bumper. I'm not sure what the weigh but with the box blade and the chipper the front end gets light.

Chris

Well, I was off a bit, but it is noticably heavier. Too bad shipping weights is prohibitively expensive......... kinda leaves internet sales off the table. :(

/ In search of weights #12  
I have wanted to get some of these weights too but I've been too cheap to pay retail. I got 2 at an auction for cheap but haven't seen any for years. The scrapyard is a great tip! Thanks.

/ In search of weights #13  
I had a buddy at work make me a lead bumper weight. I gave him some lanterns for boyscouts and gave him some used lead wheel weights. We got some 3" dia pipe and figured how long it would need to be to weight 100#s. it was something like 30" of that pipe. he welded it up and filled it with lead weight s he made and then poured molten lead around them till filled and then welded a cap on the other end and then welded it to the steel weight bumper i had for me, now i can bolt it to the tractor. The front would come off the ground with my disk harrow weighted down, and also got light using the boom pole.

/ In search of weights
I have one Yanmar weight amongst my John Deere weights, and it has to be 5 - 10 lbs heavier (never weighed it)

Ductape, Did we talk about this before? In the back of my mind I have a vague memory of something about heavier suitcase weights in the same form factor as the JD 40 pound weights. I can't find anything about it but were there 50 pound weights?

Chris

/ In search of weights
I got 2 at an auction for cheap but haven't seen any for years.

I love auctions but in the last 2 years I can't remember seeing 40 pound suitcase weights sell for less than $40. My problem has been not being the guy who gets in at $40. I've got to get better at bidding. It drives me crazy when people bid more than retail. I was just at an auction where they had 6 new style weights (with the deer cast in), the click and go weight bracket and the click and go parts that bolt to the frame and the lot sold for $440. Why bother going to the auction? You could just go down to the JD dealer.

Chris

/ In search of weights #16  
My yanmar came with 3 weights, although I removed them when installed the FEL, Plenty of weight up front now;), I use the suitcase weights now to hook onto the rear Box blade to help with rear ballast but still looking for 1 more just to even things out,
when I bought the Disk Harrows the guy had a weight on it to help with getting into the ground better, he was going to keep it until I told him I felt like the harrow wouldn't do me any good either without that extra weight, so I talked him into throwing it in;)...this weight is some part off from a small loader, must weigh over 300+.lbs. I do know it plus the Harrow is extremely heavy for the 3 point lift of my tractor, it doesn't look that large but is surprisingly heavy,

Last edited: