Go out in the storm or wait till its over

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #11  
40MPH winds in a blizzard with no cab! Stay inside and wait it out. We're not getting clobbered with the snow the way you are; but this storm is bringing down to -20 temps tonight with a wind chill warning down to -35. No way would I go out in that without a heated cab.

The weather guessers are comparing this arctic blast of cold to the 1985 one that nailed Colorado, and the lowest ever recorded direct temperature reading was -61 degrees Stupidheit in Maybell, Colorado near Craig that year. Who knows what the wind chill was like back then.

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #12  
Personnaly I prefer to clear snow in daylight. If that means being out there in it just before dark or in the morning before work, that's just part of living. Sometimes it ends up being both.

In a perfect world I would be able to wait until the snow and wind were done and just clear once whenever it snows.

Any guesses why I am here killing time before daybreak today?

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #13  
Just went out with the boys (Dogs) to get paper, had about 6" to 7" of snow on ground, weatherman said anywhere from 9" to 14" for today. Hummm, think he's wrong today, just checking in from Galway, N.Y.
DevilDog

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #14  
Here in central MI we measured about 10 inches on the ground last Sunday. We had anywhere from 5-10 inches of snow overnight. It's hard to measure with the drifting. I have a new 2+ foot drift in front of the garage and house. Weatherman says 2-4 more inches for today. Not the snow of the century, but it is the most we've had so far this winter.

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #15  
Personnaly I prefer to clear snow in daylight.

I prefer the early hours (0300-0400). This is due to minimal traffic to be concerned with (part of clearing my drive includes clearing part of the road in front of the drive).

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #16  
Last snow we got I went out at 8PM and cleaned, it was almost over. Learned from experience, the big February storm of 2010 left 30" of snow and my Kubota (20HP) had hard time to work it. Now I do it based on accumulation, makes my life easier. Besides I like to be a hero who rides tractor in bad weather, lol:D

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #17  
I'm going to wait until it's over, probably late tonight or Thursday morning. I have to plow to get the wife's car in the driveway tonight. I'd sooner clear it at night. I find the lights give better contrast than bright sunlight. It doesn't really matter how much we get, the FEL with bucket will either plow through or take it a bucket at a time.

Rear blade is a little different, much over 8-10 inches and it wants to drag the tractor sideways. Sometimes you can set it about 4-5 inches off the ground for the first pass and fully lower it the second time.

We're getting northeast winds, which means my driveway will be full, usually with north or northwest winds it blows straight out. The 3400 will earn it's keep this time.

If I didn't have the loader and had only a plow, I think I'd try to keep it down to 6-8 inches at a time. There is a point when you simply can't push any more.

Sean

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #18  
Since I take care of a couple neighbors, I'm normally out before they'd go to work or come home, to ensure they can get in or out of their driveway. Outside of that I'd just wait till its over. I have yet to have a storm that is so big my blower has trouble with it......... so no need to gout out multiple times.

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #19  
Normally, I take it in 6" bites, but with the darkness and the howling winds, I will take a look at it later this morning.

/ Go out in the storm or wait till its over #20  
If I can I prefer to to wait things out and do a good job once. Sometimes we get a good dose several days in a row and I can not wait.

Al