A monkey wrench afternoon

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #21  
How old is this tractor? I am curious if this tractor had the safety switch in the seat and if it has been "modified"? Glad no one was injured.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #22  
Everyone is willing to accept another safety switch rather than insisting that the tractor manufacturers design them safer and ergonomically. After all they are made to operate with human, not a robot. There should be no reason that a design could not accomodate the human body with enough clearances to operate it in a safe manner and get on and off in a safe manner while fully clothed. Flat deck helps, but when the mfg. puts levers, pedals etc in the way so that you cant get on or off without hanging up on hydraulics, hydrostat pedals etc, then it is time to redesign.

:thumbsup: well written

/ A monkey wrench afternoon
How old is this tractor? I am curious if this tractor had the safety switch in the seat and if it has been "modified"? Glad no one was injured.

26 years old. Can start the tractor w/o sitting on it if in neutral. Can also engage initial gear w/o clutch. Tractor keeps running at dismount. What does a safety switch do?

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #24  
Everyone is willing to accept another safety switch rather than insisting that the tractor manufacturers design them safer and ergonomically. After all they are made to operate with human, not a robot. There should be no reason that a design could not accomodate the human body with enough clearances to operate it in a safe manner and get on and off in a safe manner while fully clothed. Flat deck helps, but when the mfg. puts levers, pedals etc in the way so that you cant get on or off without hanging up on hydraulics, hydrostat pedals etc, then it is time to redesign.
Is not a safety switch safer?

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #25  
If I understand you are saying it was the rear blade that put the tractor over.??....Are you saying it "shifted" on you.??

I highly doubt the blade put it over.

And, if the swing in the blade had that big of an effect on the tractor going over then....tighten up the turnbuckles.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon
If I understand you are saying it was the rear blade that put the tractor over.??....Are you saying it "shifted" on you.??

I highly doubt the blade put it over.

And, if the swing in the blade had that big of an effect on the tractor going over then....tighten up the turnbuckles.

Turnbuckles have no more adjustment play in them besides , I doubt any rear blade put on any tractor is like a rock solid venture without some free play. The tractor went over because it went over a rock. The blade shifting certainly could have added to the weight shift differential adding to the possibility of assisting the tractor going over as I did not do an experiment to see if the tractor would go over w/o the blade backing over the same rock so I cannot be as cock sure as you.
You can highly doubt all you want, I am not bringing a rear blade into these woods again.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #27  
26 years old. Can start the tractor w/o sitting on it if in neutral. Can also engage initial gear w/o clutch. Tractor keeps running at dismount. What does a safety switch do?

The SAFETY or DEADMAN :( switch stops the motor when the user falls off the seat. My riding mower has this feature but only when mowing.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #28  

I believe that all owners manuals state to turn the machine off before dismounting. Simply following the directions in the owners manual would have prevented this.

Of course after stating this, no I don't do it either. I get on and off regularly without turning off the machine.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #29  
I did not do an experiment to see if the tractor would go over w/o the blade backing over the same rock.

Chicken!:D

Just kidding I am glad everything worked out well and you had a chance to look over the underside of the old girl. I might have grabbed the grease gun!:cool:

Thanks for posting.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #30  

Gary
Then they would have to be wider and longer. Not my idea of a CUT. :)

I'm happy with what I have. :)