Oil & Fuel Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor?

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #1  

liledoun

Tractor
JD 4300
My son works at an airport fueling private planes, etc. and says that they use "Jet A" kerosine in all their diesel trucks, tugs, etc.

They report no operational or maintenance problems. The fuel that they drain from the planes tanks during the refueling operation is available free.

Anyone have any experience in running a diesel on this type of fuel?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jim

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #2  
Well we have done that for years, with no noticable effects on that Kubota we used for towing airplanes. Most JET-A sold has additives in it (prist) to prevent gelling of the fuel at the temperatures (as low as - 70 C)at high altitude, but I have not seen any negative effects of this additive on seals, gaskets etc. The only thing to be carefull of is to make sure that the fuel that they drained from the storagetanks and aircraft is free of water and contaminants(that's why they drained it in the first place, to check for these.). If this is done at the required intervals(daily) it should not be a problem, and free fuel is a good thing!! I would have no problem whatsoever on putting this in my tractor.
Pete

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #3  
When I was in the Navy... we used the Jet fuel for everything... anything that had a diesel engine... of course we only had one "tank" to draw from and that was "jet fuel"... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

I remember the jet fuel as being very much like my winter diesel mix... 50/50 (#2d diesel/kerosene) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #5  
Diesel ground equipment used by all major airlines use Jet A kerosene with out any problems. KVA 90 are a diesel generator run at high rpms, used by all airlines for remote aircraft parking. If there had been any effects by running Jet A fuel, it would have shown up with the KVA 90.
PJ

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #6  
I worked at airports for 7 years and we were always told jet fuel was home heating oil with an airplane sticker so they could charge twice as much /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Curious thing was, what ever the price of home heating oil was, that is how much we paid for jet fuel. Then we doubled the price. (I didn't make the decisions, the owner did).

We used it in our boiler to heat the hangar floor. Believe me, the guy that owned the place was a tightwad, so if he could have gotten heating oil cheaper than jet fuel, he would have.

When I first started working there we didn't have PRIST in it, we had to add it manually while refueling over the wing. It was an anti-icing agent, as well as a microbiocidal fungicide (I love saying that).

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #7  
I thought John was stationed on the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria. Thought it was one of those three.

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #8  
We ran Jet-A in the ground equipment when I worked for an airline.
Our Mechanics advised that Jet-A didn't have lubricants in it for parts like the injector pump like diesel fuel does. They suggested we use and additive for additional lubrication. We acutally just put a quart of transmssion fluid into about 40 gallons for Jet-A.

If you run Jet-A part of the time you shoud be ok. If you run it all the time you might look for an additive.

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #9  
NOW, NOW BOYS ! IT is the christmas season so be nice old JM3, besides i think i am older than he is/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif and don't forget that he always has good info.

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #10  
ship6h.jpg

Now 1492… would place me much older than I really am… since I’m from New York and live by the majestic Hudson River… I think the Half Moon is more fitting… /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/47-215822-HenryHudsonsHalfMoonreplicainNYC.jpg>Henry Hudson’s Half Moon replica sailing in NYC in front of former WTC…</A>

Attachments

• 47-215822-HenryHudsonsHalfMoonreplicainNYC.jpg
    47-215822-HenryHudsonsHalfMoonreplicainNYC.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 202