Oil & Fuel Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor?

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #21  
Its raining cats and dogs today so I just could not resist bringing this post back to life. Using Jet type fuels will work in diesel equipment. To my knowledge John Deere is the only tractor manufacturer who will warrantee their engines and fuel systems for use with Jet fuels. JP-5 is the preferred but used normally only aboard Navy ships and installations. (it has the highest btu value) Jet fuels have a significantly lower btu value than does #2 diesel and therefore the noted loss in power, although it should not be that notable. It is a REALLY good idea to use a very good fuel additive when using Jet fuels as they do not have the fuel lubricity qualities that #2 diesel has. I believe the PRIST also is acts as a microbiocidal which helps prevent the little beasties from growing in the fuel. In the 101st we used JP-8 in the 15 John Deere 4710's that I procurred right before they left for Iraq.

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #22  
<font color="blue"> I believe the PRIST also is acts as a microbiocidal which helps prevent the little beasties from growing in the fuel </font>

I believe PRIST is a microbiocidal fungicide AND anti-icing agent.

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I believe PRIST is a microbiocidal fungicide AND anti-icing agent. )</font>

That is correct...

/ Jet A fuel in a diesel tractor? #24  
Hee, hee. The only reason I know that is because I worked at FBOs for 6 years fueling planes. I eventually became line chief and had to go over I don't know how many training sessions with new people and microbicidal fungicide was fun to say. Oooo, big words /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Relating airports to tractors, we had a wheel horse "air horse" for moving airplanes. Ever see one of those?

If not, Click Here to see pictures of an Air Horse and an Air Deere. There are no front wheels and you sit on the hood with the steering wheel between your legs. It is hydraulically articulated. Very interesting machines and they work great!