Radiator coolant frozen - help!?

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #1  

bgons

I just purchased a early 80s kubota last week. I went out of town for the last 2 days. While I was gone we got 20 degree weather in south Louisiana! The coolant (apparently mostly water) is frozen when I look in the radiator. Is it ok to start the tractor and let it warm up to melt the ice so I can put actuall coolant in it?

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #2  
If it's frozen solid, I sure wouldn't! I'd throw a tarp over the hood and apply heat - making sure it's all liquid before trying to start it.
Mike

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #3  
Don't start it. Hope it didn't freeze hard enough to crack the block, head or something elts. Mike has the best idea, thaw it out first then try to start it. Check for cracks, leaks and coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. A frozen engine is a spooky thing.

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #4  
Ice expands.

Get heat to it immediately, the more it freezes, the more damage occurs.

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #5  
At 20 I'd worry more about the radiator splitting than the block. Thaw it out, look for leaks, fire it up and look for leaks.

Good luck!!

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #6  
If I were you, I would thaw and drain the coolant into a bucket and refill with a 50-50 mix.

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #7  
Do not throw the antifreeze away when you thaw it out. This sounds crazy but find a good antifreeze tester and find out what the strength is. The stronger it was relative to the temperature that you froze is a factor as to any possible damage.
Without doubt you will be putting in new and in the north we mix it 50/50. If it ever freezes at that temperature you will not be starting easily.
Craig Clayton

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!?
Thanks all for the speedy advice!

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #9  
Id say tent the tractor and build a charcoal fire under it right away. Warming fairly quickly from the outside in is the safest to avoid cracking. Water expands as it freezes, but pressure keeps relieving until it hardens. Once hardened in place, heating the ice to thaw causes the solid to expand. Since its hard it cant flow and will probably crack something. Rapidly heating whats holding the ice causes melting to take place at the interface before the bulk of ice heats, allowing the water to flow and reduce pressure.
larry

/ Radiator coolant frozen - help!? #10  
20 and below is point at which real damage starts to occur. Radiators are fragile, so more subject to damage. Hopefully no internal damage. As others have said, thaw out...then start, or pressure test cooling system.

There are other valid reasons to run 50/50 mix than freeze protection...anti-corrosion and higher boiling point...