3-Point Hitch John Deere 855 3 pt hitch

/ John Deere 855 3 pt hitch #1  

bob arnold

Tractor
john deere 855
I bought a John Deere 855 with a backhoe on it, but no 3 pt hitch. John Deere asked $1500 for the hitch kit, but I found one through a Yan Mar dealer in Texas for much, much less. My problem is that I can't stop the sway when I am using the blade for snow or the finish mower. The sway chains don't seem to dampen the sway.

Anyone else have this problem?

/ John Deere 855 3 pt hitch #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

If you can post some pictures of your setup, I am sure we can help you solve this problem quickly.

/ John Deere 855 3 pt hitch
Pictures of the three point hitch set up

Attachments

• Three Point Hitch 001.JPG
    Three Point Hitch 001.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 4,185
  • Three Point Hitch 002.JPG
    Three Point Hitch 002.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Three Point Hitch 003.JPG
    Three Point Hitch 003.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 5,024
  • Three Point Hitch 004.JPG
    Three Point Hitch 004.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,372
   / John Deere 855 3 pt hitch #4  
It looks like your sway chains may be too long for your tractor. Might work for the Yanmar tractor they were built for, but maybe not the 855.
If, in the pictures, they're adjusted as short as possible...well, they aren't going to work as they are. You could try removing a link from each.
Once properly set up, you shouldn't have more then a few inches lateral travel when the implement is raised.

BTW, Bob, you might want to reverse your rear tires. That might give more clearance.

/ John Deere 855 3 pt hitch #5  
Just as a reference, this is from JD parts:

Attachments

• 855.gif
    855.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 8,934
Thanks. I am beginning to think that the lift arms that I bought from a Yan Mar dealer are too straight and that maybe I need a pair that bend outward after they get past the back of the tire. Maybe that's what the ones from John Deere do, but I can't tell from the drawing.

/ John Deere 855 3 pt hitch #7  
Your 3PH arms look just like the ones on my 955. Look at your anti-sway chains.... they're drooping almost to the ground. How would you expect that to keep an implement from swaying? Center the implement behind the tractor and tighten up the chains until they are TIGHT... just becareful to tighten them equally to keep the implement centered.

I think I need new chains. These are the ones that came with the Yan Mar hitch but they can't be shortened any further. I probably need to order some from John Deere.

/ John Deere 855 3 pt hitch #9  
I think I need new chains. These are the ones that came with the Yan Mar hitch but they can't be shortened any further. I probably need to order some from John Deere.

I just ordered some the other day to replace the ones I have on my 955 now which are not correct. $80 per side. Seems kind of steep to me for a couple of chain links and a turnbuckle. Maybe they're made of super-strong unobtainium.

The entire 3 pt hitch kit is $1,500 from JD. Yan Mar only wanted $275.