Everybody loves a guessing game

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #41  
It looks a lot closer in that pic.

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #42  
You have the 60" version - it has a key difference from the 48" in that there is a vertical bar behind the SSQA plates on the 60" but there is only air on the 48" one that I have. So you already do have some support, though it may not be at the exact right position. The plates you added certainly won't hurt. It is also possible that a stick or something nudged one of the QA levers letting it partially release - no way to know now - but I check mine religiously and constantly after my incidents. I would like to come up with a way to pin the levers down with a cable or something (like the folding ROPS, perhaps) so they cannot get moved by brush/sticks/etc when using the grapple. I'll look into that when I get it back out this spring.

Your gap at the bottom does not look too huge, but if the whole thing can move around on the SSQA then it may still come loose. Hard to say for sure. If I had the answer, mine would be fixed too...

/ Everybody loves a guessing game
I would like to come up with a way to pin the levers down with a cable or something (like the folding ROPS, perhaps) so they cannot get moved by brush/sticks/etc when using the grapple.
Dave, that thought has crossed my mind several times since The Incident. If you come up with a solution, let me know.

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #44  
Dave, that thought has crossed my mind several times since The Incident. If you come up with a solution, let me know.

Seems like just a safety cable would be all you need--wouldn't even need to be tight, just tight enough that the release levers can't pop up. Maybe drill a hole in the release lever handle, pop in a carabiner or shackle, then swage up a small piece of wire rope with loops at each end, find something to attach it to on the grapple. I think brush could pop those levers up and release the thing when you can't even see it.

I had a chance to use my grapple for the first time this morning since having one side detach while in operation three weeks ago, bending my tractor's quick attach adapter. I ran the grapple for five hours straight today, doing some pretty heavy brush work.

The right-hand SSQA lock lever got knocked into the unlocked position by stray debris TWO different times!!! Thank goodness I was watching it like a hawk and caught it right away before disaster struck (again).

So, a word of advice to you quick-attach grapple users out there: Watch your levers!

Jay

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #46  
I had a chance to use my grapple for the first time this morning since having one side detach while in operation three weeks ago, bending my tractor's quick attach adapter. I ran the grapple for five hours straight today, doing some pretty heavy brush work.

The right-hand SSQA lock lever got knocked into the unlocked position by stray debris TWO different times!!! Thank goodness I was watching it like a hawk and caught it right away before disaster struck (again).

So, a word of advice to you quick-attach grapple users out there: Watch your levers!

Jay

Do you have proper tension on the lever pivots and the pin springs??? Mine take a bit of effort to open.

I do not have a grapple so I use mine a bit different.

I would rig up some type of lock or safety pin to be sure that they cannot open.

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #47  
Seems like just a safety cable would be all you need--wouldn't even need to be tight, just tight enough that the release levers can't pop up. Maybe drill a hole in the release lever handle, pop in a carabiner or shackle, then swage up a small piece of wire rope with loops at each end, find something to attach it to on the grapple. I think brush could pop those levers up and release the thing when you can't even see it.

I think you're on the money, I will look into that myself, this was a good topic.

Do you have proper tension on the lever pivots and the pin springs??? Mine take a bit of effort to open.
My levers require some effort to release, too, so I think they're properly tensioned. I've never adjusted them since buying the tractor new in 2008.

I do not have a grapple so I use mine a bit different.
I've used only my FEL bucket on the quick attach frame until early January this year when I bought the grapple. I never had any trouble whatsoever with levers unlocking while using the bucket.

I've learned the hard way that it doesn't take much for the butt of a stout limb to work its way underneath the grapple or between its verticals and kick a lever upward.

I would rig up some type of lock or safety pin to be sure that they cannot open.
I think johnbro's method is the way to go, however I'm thinking I might weld an upside down U-bolt or something on the SSQA cross tube under the tail of each lever, and attach one end of the wire rope there, instead of attaching it to the grapple.

Jay

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #49  
I've learned the hard way that it doesn't take much for the butt of a stout limb to work its way underneath the grapple or between its verticals and kick a lever upward.

Jay

I forgot that your grapple is open back!!!!!!!!!:eek: I still think a thin plate would be best otherwise you may bend the levers too.

/ Everybody loves a guessing game #50  
I have thought about adding heavy expanded metal to the back of the grapple to help keep the view open while stopping stuff from poking through and hitting the levers or stabbing the tractor grill. I suspect I will have a hard time welding something that thin to the heavy sections of the grapple, at least with my welding skills...