Mowing considering purchse of a rear discharge mower

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #1  

stjoegradeschool

We are considering purchasing a new mower deck for our New Holland TC33D. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #3  
We are considering purchasing a new mower deck for our New Holland TC33D. Does anyone have any reccomendations?
I haven't used a TC33D, and don't know what decks are available, but I like rear discharge. They tend to spread the clippings over a wider area(instead of a windrow, like side discharge), and seem to do a much better job.(at least the ones I've seen).

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #4  
I have 7 1/2 acres of lawn that I mow. It likes to grow fast, so when I get finished, I start over again. But, I love it.
I have had all kinds of mowers...mid mount, finish, ferris, etc. I now use a Bush Hog finish mower. I am not saying it is the best form of mowing. My ferris would mow circles around it, but it works best for me. I now have an attachment for my tractor, opposed to a $12,000 mower.
I like the finish mower because I can move right along, and even if the grass is tall, it mows great and leaves no windrows. Plus I have a lot of trees I can back under to mow. Cuts down on my weed whacker time.

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #5  
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I now have an attachment for my tractor, I like the finish mower because I can move right along, and even if the grass is tall, it mows great and leaves no windrows. Amen, I agree 100%.
DevilDog

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #6  

I assume you're asking about a rear finishing mower. My recommendation is a Befco. I've had two (still have the 2nd one) and both have been good machines.
IIRC, your TC33D has about 28 PTO HP, so you could easily use a 72" mower. You might even get by with an 84" unit, but I warn you,,,those are monsters. Make sure you have the lawn to justify one that big.

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #7  
We have used two Caroni RFM with rear discharge for close to twenty years and they are still going good.

The rear discharge works well for us.

As to the best RFM, I don't really know.

I am sure someone will stop by to recommend a flail mower which is also a good option from all I have read, but don't own one.

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #8  
I have owned 2 of them. My dad sold the first one i had with one of my tractors that was for sale. When asking him why he sold the mower he said," the man loved the way it mowed and how it looked after mowing" well I do too! Both mowers are King kutter, are nicely priced, and do a GREAT job! The Mower I am presently using is a 72" rear discharge and has mowed alteast 4500 acres. Only problems i have found with it is I changed the way it picks on the 3 pt hitch. It use to pick fron the center, now it picks from both corners, nad i need to replace the bearings in the wheels. All 4 wheels have grease fittings and were greased everyday but they just wore out. Guess they covered lots of miles. I mow when the grass is wet, rain or shine, doesn't matter to me. I like to mow in the rain cause it holds the dust down, and no it doesn't plug the mower nor does it leave a mess behind it either.

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #9  
Last summer I had to get my 54" Toro Mowing deck rebuilt (shafts, gears, etc) because I was mowing 7.5 acres and it turns out the machine was only built for about 1-2 acres. Of course, the Toro dealer tried to get me interested in a commercial grade zero turn mower but I opted for a Woods finish mower (72" cut) with a rear discharge.

I was able to pick up a used one in good condition and it is a joy to use! I like the ride much better on my Kubota and I can get the job done in much less time! Plus, the PTO powered finish mower goes through any and all grass conditions, whereas before I had to be careful with anything but dry grass.

I have been impressed with the Woods finish mower and would definitely recommend it to you.

Good luck in your decision.

/ considering purchse of a rear discharge mower #10  
I use an older Bush Hog brand 72" mower with a side discharge. I have been happy with it and the quality of the cut is great, but I'm by no means a lawn junkie so that is relative. I got the side discharge so I CAN make windrows to collect the grass for composting, but there is a problem. The mower moves such huge volume of air that it just spreads the clippings way out even with the discharge chute folded down, and makes it hard to collect. I have thought of making a tunnel so the clipping fall in a nice windrow. If I fold the chute up it shoots the clippings at least 5-10 feet.

Edit: As for recommending a particular brand ... I would guess that most of them are very good.