Looked at Ford 1210

/ Looked at Ford 1210 #1  

darius

Tractor
Deere 318
I looked at a Ford 1210 today and need some feedback on my findings.

1)black smoke under load and high RPM. Starts right up and runs strong. It has been sitting a while. The air filter is new.

2) Pushes radiator fluid out the overflow.

3) Engine has what seems lik a slight knock at idle. Not being a diesel guy I am not sure if this is just the Diesel sound or not.

4) 4x4 did not work. Turns out the ujoint had come off but we did not see any way to keep it on (spring clips etc).

Any advice would be appreceiated.

This is a 950 hour unit, HST, front blade and a semi-functional belly mower (may be missing some of the hookups to the rear pto). They are asking $3000.

Any thought? Thanks.

/ Looked at Ford 1210 #2  
Darius, sounds a bit rough. As on the other reply on smoke - probably isn't a big deal.

Mine has pushed antifreeze only one time - overheated due to clogged screen in front of radiator.

Hard to tell about the knock, but can say from experience the cost of replacing (short block) was $3K a few years ago when a rod came out the side of the engine.

I'd want the 4X4 in good working order (and a demonstration). Which joint is off?

If it would be of any help, I could post pics of mine to compare what parts may be missing. I always used a rear mower, so I can't help with belly mower parts. I do have a service manual if needed for reference.

Tough call, but depends on the real condition of the machine, you could end up with $6,000 in it if there's anything seriously wrong..................chim

/ Looked at Ford 1210 #3  
I would be concerned about why the coolant is be pushed out.
It could be as minor as overfilling.
Or a more serious problem like head or head gasket or a crack or hole in a cylinder liner.
I would avoid this machine.(To risky).

/ Looked at Ford 1210 #4  
Pop the radiator cap when the engine is cold and fill the radiator to the top. Start the engine and watch for bubbles. If you can take the tractor to an auto repair shop that has an infrared bench you can hold the wand over the radiator and see if it shows any carbon monoxide. Then have the shop test the radiator cap to see if it's bad. A cylinder head on these little engines can cost a ton.

/ Looked at Ford 1210 #5  
With the knock, take a broom handle, wood, and hold it to the engine. By putting your ear to the wood and listening you can hear the inards of the engine. Usually by moving it aroun on the block you can tell where the sound is coming from. As far as the water being pushed out, could be a blown head gasket ot a cracked head. About the only way I know to figure that one is a top end tear down.
With the front drive, missing parts and an engine knock, I think I would be a little gunshy of it. Randall

/ Looked at Ford 1210 #6  
A bad injector will cause a knock on a diesel engine. To check it is kind of involved. You want to crack the lines and tighten them one at a time while the engine is running. If the knock goes away you pull that injector and swap it into a cylinder that didn't have a knock. If the knock moves with the injector you've found the problem.

/ Looked at Ford 1210
Thanks everyone for the info. I am passing at this point although he may take it to the dealer for the 4x4 repair and a once over. Based on that I might look again.

I want a good cheap tractor, not a project.

I appreceiate all the great advice.