Tires Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires?

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #1  

audiski86

Tractor
1997 New Holland 2120
This winter I finally received my NH T4030 that was ordered back in August. The rears are 16.9R30 radials and the dealer put rimguard in them. I put the valve stems at the very top and put the gauge on. It read fairly low compared to the 23.5 psi that the manual has, so I was going to put some more air in. When I take the gauge off there is a little juice that leaks out; and that brownish gook is messy! A little more leaks out when I put the air valve on to fill them up. I got them up to 25 and noticed that it was a little too much and the profile hitting the ground was more of the center of the tire and not all the way out the lugs. Ideally, I should probably take 5-10 psi out, but when I go to release some pressure, all the fluid is coming out and making a mess everywhere. I let it come out for a bit thinking the pressure would drop too, but it barely did. So how do I get more pressure out of the tires? I can't get the valve stems any higher.

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #2  
Sounds like the dealer overfilled those tires...

I suggest you hold a bucket over the stem (as you're releasing pressure) to catch most of the spray. It'll still be messy, but at least it'll be a manageable mess.

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #3  
As others here said I always leave the valve stem at the top to fill or let out air and it will be a bit messy. Another tip is to clean your air pressure guage well after use even if it is "Beet juice" and especially with calcium chloride.

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #4  
As others here said I always leave the valve stem at the top to fill or let out air and it will be a bit messy. Another tip is to clean your air pressure guage well after use even if it is "Beet juice" and especially with calcium chloride.

Cleaning those gages is darn near impossible...so, you either buy really cheap (throwaway) gages or an air/liquid gage (spring loaded and pushes any liquid out).

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #5  
Here is another idea jack up the side that you want to let the air out of and use a valve tool and remove the stem. Quickly slip a rubber hose over the stem and catch the over flow in a bucket.
Then put the valve stem back in and fill to the pressure as required. Just remember a winter fill will have a greater pressure when SUMMER arrives.
That is how I changed my valve stems when they went bad and I never really lost much
Calcium chloride

Craig Clayton

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #6  
The dealer filled mine all the way to the top with washer fluid. I had to remove 5 gals. per tire. I vote for what Craig said. or go park sideways on a hill and let the air out.

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #7  
If they were filled to the stem at 12:00 when the tire and fluid was cold, a few degrees rise in temperature can cause the problem you are having. If it were mine and I didn't want to monkey around with it each time I adjusted pressure I'd rotate the stem to between 1:00 and 2:00 o'clock or so and let er rip until the fluid stopped. I don't have any more time in life to screw around with things like that so I just get er done.

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #8  
could take rim off and lay tire over a tad so air bubble is at the valve stem.

least mess.. most work though...

soundguy

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires? #9  
If you can manage to tip the tire so you are releasing the compressed air you will see MUCH quicker results. The same principal as the air resevoir on your well pump.....

/ Letting air pressure out of fluid filled tires?
Thanks for the insight. I am going to have to get some more pressure out so I suppose next time I will be parking on a slope and using a bucket. My last tractor bought used (from the same dealer) I did this and I couldn't get it tipped enough to make a difference. I bought a air/fluid gauge from NorthernTool that I washed out along with the air chuck I used to fill them. When I first went to pull thread the protective cap off the valve, I was doing it blind with my head outside the back of the tractor and little did I know I was unscrewing the valve along with it! When that came out it was quite the spray show. Scrambling to screw it back into the geyser was even more interesting. I was covered and that stuff smells like a rotting mouse nest with all their feces. Well, thanks again for the comments.