Traction Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Hello,

My Kubota 3830 has no fluid in the rear tires. I'm thinking about adding fluid and have some questions.

1. What is the best fluid to use? Calcium is out of the question. I do not want any corrosion!

2. Can I add fluid myself?

3. How do you calculate the volume of fluid? I know the tire should have no more than 70% fluid.

Thank you for any help! :)

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #2  
Hello,

My Kubota 3830 has no fluid in the rear tires. I'm thinking about adding fluid and have some questions.

1. What is the best fluid to use? Calcium is out of the question. I do not want any corrosion!

2. Can I add fluid myself?

3. How do you calculate the volume of fluid? I know the tire should have no more than 70% fluid.

Thank you for any help! :)

If you had ever had to repair a rear tire with fluid in, you would not ever want to add it to a tire ever again. I've only repaired 1 and that was 1 too many. :):laughing:

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #3  
I use wwaf because its relatively cheap, easy to get and I can do it myself (in the warm weather). If I do spring a leak its not a disaster to the environment. Thousands of gallons get sprayed onto the roads every winter....

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #4  
Its pretty easy, I did it myself with a drill pump ($6) from Home Depot,, the Valve adaptor to garden hose (about $9). a bucket, a Jack to jack up one side of the tractor, and some wood to hold up the other. (so you can spin the tires easily to place valve stem at 12 o'clock). read the chart to determine how much liquid to buy, put in about 2 or 3 gallons. and then burp the tire with the adaptor button, put in some more etc. fill to normal air pressure before putting weight on the tire, so you dont risk popping the bead. just commons sense stuff.. do a search if you want more detail. or PM me.

James K0UA

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #5  
If you're going to do it yourself you may be limited to things you can buy like windshield washer fluid. Rim Guard would be sold by dealers and they may only sell it installed or if they will sell it by the gallon they may sell it for the installed price.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #6  
Philosophically I prefer wheel weights to fluid, but my bank account prefers fluid.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #7  
Wheel weights would make it easier to fix a flat, but they are harder on the gear train and axles. A sudden torque load can spin the tire without a direct connection to the water, but the weights must spin with the tires.

Just don't use toxic antifreeze, like ethylene glycol, that might get onto the ground and contaminate it or poison animals. I don't see how you could repair a flat without spilling.

Mine have water in them and they freeze every winter. So far it hasn't been a problem, but it drives weird for a while. Just parking it inside, or out in the winter sun prevents it.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions #8  
A gallon or so of antifreeze depending on your climate takes care of the freezing when using the cheapest of the cheap, water.

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions
A gallon or so of antifreeze depending on your climate takes care of the freezing when using the cheapest of the cheap, water.

Will the water/anti-freeze mix cause corrison of the rims over time?

Thank you for all the input guys!

/ Adding fluid to rear tires. Questions
Wheel weights would make it easier to fix a flat, but they are harder on the gear train and axles. A sudden torque load can spin the tire without a direct connection to the water, but the weights must spin with the tires.

Just don't use toxic antifreeze, like ethylene glycol, that might get onto the ground and contaminate it or poison animals. I don't see how you could repair a flat without spilling.

Mine have water in them and they freeze every winter. So far it hasn't been a problem, but it drives weird for a while. Just parking it inside, or out in the winter sun prevents it.

I don't recommend letting the water freeze. That could lead to a nasty explosion of the tire/rim. A rear tractor tire blowing can be a very scary event.