Oil Idiot light

/ Oil Idiot light #1  

Justaplain

Gold Member
Tractor
DK35
Cub 7234 -911 hrs- Oil changed <2Hrs- 10/30 oil. After the engine gets to operating temp. the oil light starts to flicker and then comes on full. Changed oil and filter again and the same thing happens. Have ordered a new sending unit, any body got any other ideas?? Thanks bcs

/ Oil Idiot light #2  
Loose wire? Short circuit?

Any oil leaks? The idiot light might actually be working properly/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Oil Idiot light #3  
Any way of putting a oil pressure guage on it?
Hopefully not, but it sounds as if the oil pump might have gone.

/ Oil Idiot light #4  
as dave mentioned , u might have a bad pump. hope it is just the sending unit.

/ Oil Idiot light #5  
You may want check the guage by connecting a mechanical guage at the sending unit connection. This will tell you for sure if you have oil pressure. The guages are available at most auto stores for $15.

I just went through this with a 93 Chevy PU that spun #4 main bearing after 172k miles. The dealer did not think I had a problem. They replaced the sending unit and the guage still showed no oil pressure at idle. The still did not figure it out even after I showed them the mechanical guage. I found another service center.

/ Oil Idiot light #6  
yep, I had an old ford bobcat with a v6 that suddenly lost virtually all oil pressure. went the gauge route and decided to dump the car. Sold it to a friend with the knowledge of a bad engine. He rebuilt the engine and said it had spun a bearing. A couple of years later he said it did the same thing again. Just a Ford thing I guess :)

/ Oil Idiot light #7  
Justaplain,

If it is the oil pressure, as others are suggesting, it is a very serious problem. I wouldn't run it much further until you know for sure.

Here is what my boat repair book says about this condition:

It could be due to:

1) Lack of oil.
2) Low oil viscosity.
3) Overheating -- lowering the viscosity.
4) Oil being diluted by fuel contamination.
5) Worn bearings.
6) Oil pressure relieve valves venting oil directly back to sump resulting in a loss of pressure.
7) Oil pumps rarly give out if the oil and filter have been changed regularly.

Please keep me informed as to the diagnosis. I have similar problem with my boat.

Buck

/ Oil Idiot light #8  
I had a flickering oil light on my small older-model Kubota B7100, which concerned me since it hadn't been that long since an engine rebuild. It would flicker at idle with the engine at full operating temperature.

Luckily, it turned out to be the sending unit. I did check the pressure with a mechanical guage, and it was within limits (I can't remember the numbers right now). The new sending unit fixed the flicker.

Kelvin

/ Oil Idiot light
It turned out great, it was the sender. Guage showed 70# cold down to 55 at 1200RPM warmed up. Looks like a Kioti 35 will replace the whole machine. Thanks bcs