new tractor hard to shift

/ new tractor hard to shift #1  

crzybowhntr

Tractor
Kubota M6040
I have a new Massey Ferguson 2615 with FEL and 4wheel, shuttle. It is seemingly hard to shift into low range even when stopped and all controls in nuetral with idle set at lowest possible. Mostly I have to move ahead in high a little bit before it will go into low. Is this normal. Only 8 hours on tractor.

/ new tractor hard to shift #2  
is it an HST.no it doesnt sound normal id have the dealer come look at it.

/ new tractor hard to shift #3  
Your concern is a normal occurance with my HST TC35 NH and characteristic of the TC series. Shifting resistance sometime occurs because of torque buildup in the drive shaft. Moving forward,for example, as you discribe can relieve the torque pressure making shifting into another range easy. I,also,can raise the front end off the ground with the FEL and that relieves the torque pressure on the shaft making the range shifter work.

This may not be your probem but worth seeing if these tricks help.

/ new tractor hard to shift #4  
Unless I'm mistaken, crzybowhntr wrote he has a shuttle shift.
I'm not familar with the lever configurations on a M-F, but my range selector on my 4400 Deere with reverser transmission was also stiff when I bought it (used, 800 hours). I sprayed Fluid Film liberally on the linkage and it helped quite a bit.

Crzybowhntr can ( and should) contact his dealer, but it's possible it's just the "newness" of the tractor and will get easier with use.

/ new tractor hard to shift #5  
i guess this problem can be sorted out by a dealer.

/ new tractor hard to shift #6  
Some tractors are hare to shift for a few reasons. If they are new, if in 4WD the 4WD can cause binding or pressure on the gears in the transmission, cold weather can thicken the fluids, etc. All can cause hard shifting.
I suspect that because it is new the levers and meshing gears are stiff. Try running in 2WD and see if its still hard to put in low range. That would rule out the 4WD theory. It should get better after you get it broke in with some hours on it.

/ new tractor hard to shift #7  
Some tractors can just be hard to shift. Our Case CX80 was always hit or miss on shifting the synchro-shuttle. It wasn't much different te day we traded it in from the day we bought it.

/ new tractor hard to shift #8  
Some tractors can just be hard to shift. Our Case CX80 was always hit or miss on shifting the synchro-shuttle. It wasn't much different te day we traded it in from the day we bought it.

Agree, my tractor is a 2004 with about 386 hrs. its an HST with a Low-Med-Hi selector. Mine is still stiff to engage but is a lot easier than when it was new.