Slopes and tractor tilt

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #91  
I agree that we'll disagree. :)

The only way to hit the stop is to 1) drive across uneven ground or 2) start a roll. No matter how steep the slope, if the slope is flat (like a 1/2 open hardback book cover) then you'll be dead center on the front pivot - equidistant from both stops.

So no, you don't roll on every slope because you don't hit the stop on every slope. I was responding to someone earlier who talked about the front axle stop arresting a roll - and my point is that once a roll has started because of the usual reasons*, it's rare that the front stop arrests the roll.

*usual reasons include - hole, bump, sudden turn, load shift, etc. All of these things lead to a sudden change in the stability of the tractor. Rolling because you just flat out exceeded the tilt limitations without turning, hitting a low spot or high spot is pretty rare, IMHO.

Think about your statement...
Now, you have an axle that pivots a few degees (I'm not talking about steering) perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the tractor. What is the weight of the tractor going to do as you start across the slope? The solid rear axle is going to resist any twisting movement, but there is some (enough to cause the front axle to pivot to it's limits (stops) if the slope is steep enough).
Unless you hit the abrupt change in the ground as you enter the slope, the axle is already at it's limits...any effect (the weight shift described in my previous post) has already occurred.

Now, how much slope would it take to overcome the resistance to twist provided by the rear axle? That's going to depend on the design and materials of the tractor and the degree of slope.
That would be a very interesting calculation, but I doubt any one here has the parameters required to calculate it...even in a static setting (tilt table, for example). That math might be in that ANSI spec the tractor manufacturers test to, but the materials, design etc. would be variables the manufacturer would have to provide.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #92  
Yeah Roy. .. But once youre on a steep enuf slope that will cause a well weighted uphill rear to lift it will continue. The front pivot will offer no resistance until you hit the stops. It would take a very wide front stance to stall the tip in such an instance. Very likely the tractor would roll.
larry

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #93  
Yeah Roy. .. But once youre on a steep enuf slope that will cause a well weighted uphill rear to lift it will continue. The front pivot will offer no resistance until you hit the stops. It would take a very wide front stance to stall the tip in such an instance. Very likely the tractor would roll.
larry

Yep, if it's steep enough...and once that rear tire bounces or lifts...well, just hope the ROPS and seatbelt work as designed!
But I'm assuming most of us wouldn't attempt crossing a slope like that. I know I wouldn't...

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #94  
Out of curiosity, do all the tractors have pretty much the same degree of movement before contacting the stop, any difference in 2WD or 4WD?

I don't intend on testing these theories, but just curious.

My son mows on slopes I won't get near and he has never lifted a wheel that I know, so appearances can be deceiving.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #95  
Out of curiosity, do all the tractors have pretty much the same degree of movement before contacting the stop, any difference in 2WD or 4WD?

I don't intend on testing these theories, but just curious.

My son mows on slopes I won't get near and he has never lifted a wheel that I know, so appearances can be deceiving.

I always thought 2WD tractor axles don't pivot like the 4WD ones do... And, there's so many different tractors...just focusing on CUT 4WDs, I'd guess most front axles pivot (remember, we're not discussing the pivoting as they steer). All the Deere CUTs I've seen do...

Like you wrote, your son can handle more slope then you can...I can handle more of a slope in one direction then the other (inner ear problem on one side). And, I'd guess most tractors can handle more of a slope then most operators.

BTW, TripleR: antidisestablishmentarianism
How's that some a lot of syllables???

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #96  
Think about your statement...
Now, you have an axle that pivots a few degees (I'm not talking about steering) perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the tractor. What is the weight of the tractor going to do as you start across the slope? The solid rear axle is going to resist any twisting movement, but there is some (enough to cause the front axle to pivot to it's limits (stops) if the slope is steep enough).
Unless you hit the abrupt change in the ground as you enter the slope, the axle is already at it's limits...any effect (the weight shift described in my previous post) has already occurred.

I've thought about it, and I keep coming to the same conclusion.

Take a tractor - put it on top of a big hardcover book. Start opening the book. (That's us, driving across a slope that's getting steeper and steeper.)

I say that no matter how much you open the book, as long as both rear tires are on the ground, there's no movement at the front pivot point. Not until the upper rear tire lifts does the tractor start to twist about the front pivot, and by the time you hit the stop - too late! You already have enough angular momentum to roll right over.

From what I understand of what you're saying, you are saying that as you open the book, the tractor twists about the front pivot and at some point - well before rollover - it hits the stop. Did I get it right?

Now I've left frame twist out of the simplified example above. I believe it to be negligible for what we're talking about. I'll also say that if a tractor frame twists enough to hit the front stops on a smooth but steep slope, I don't want to be on that tractor.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #97  
Now I've left frame twist out of the simplified example above. I believe it to be negligible for what we're talking about. I'll also say that if a tractor frame twists enough to hit the front stops on a smooth but steep slope, I don't want to be on that tractor.

Tell you what...I've got to mow on Sunday (08 May) if it dries out enough. It needs mowing but too wet today. I have a pretty decent slope I mow across (8-10 degrees or so, measured quite a while back by a tiltmeter).
I know the slope is safe from mowing it the last 10 years. I'll get off my tractor and look at the front axle. I don't normally carry a camera, but I will get a pic if possible.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #98  
Sounds like a great idea. I'll do the same here tomorrow (trying to keep the tractor off the grass for one more day - it's like walking on a sponge here.)

If you've got a particular slope you want, I'm sure I can find it somewhere around here. The steepest I drive on regularly is 22 degrees - straight up & down only. I'm chicken. I do have some 25+ degree slopes with trees on them and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the lumber this spring - I may just use my favorite 1/2 hp tractor.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #99  
I always thought 2WD tractor axles don't pivot like the 4WD ones do... And, there's so many different tractors...just focusing on CUT 4WDs, I'd guess most front axles pivot (remember, we're not discussing the pivoting as they steer). All the Deere CUTs I've seen do...

Like you wrote, your son can handle more slope then you can...I can handle more of a slope in one direction then the other (inner ear problem on one side). And, I'd guess most tractors can handle more of a slope then most operators.

BTW, TripleR: antidisestablishmentarianism
How's that some a lot of syllables???

Maybe we are related, I am much more comfortable mowing with my right side up hill. I have recently had to park my Harley, but rode motorcycles on the street and dirt for many, many years and was never as comfortable turning left as turning right and I don't have inner ear problems, though the jury is out on the rest of the contents of my cranium.:laughing:

I grew up farming in the flat lands, but we have owned property in the hills since 1986 and you would think I would be comfortable working on slopes, but I am still always a little uneasy on anything very steep even those I have mowed for years.

You win with antidisestablishmentarianism.:laughing::laughing:

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #100  
Sounds like a great idea. I'll do the same here tomorrow (trying to keep the tractor off the grass for one more day - it's like walking on a sponge here.)

Only get on there if it's safe to do so...I wrote that slope I'll do the test on is safe...but that's when it's dry.
I'll walk mine first and feel the bottom of those blades of grass and the ground. My 4400 is considerably heavier then your 2305 and will rut if the ground is wet or soft.

...but I am still always a little uneasy on anything very steep even those I have mowed for years.

Same here, and that's a good way to be...