Slopes and tractor tilt

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #1  

gregfender

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST
Here is another question that might leave some of you veterans scratching your heads at a newbie, however...here goes.

What is the max tilt or slope that you feel comfortable with? Granted, I know the standard "if you feel nervous then it's too much" kind of answer, but do tractor manufacturers engineer to a certain slope rating. Just curious.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #2  
It's not the fixed slope you have to worry about. It's any abrupt change caused by a downhill wheel going into a trough or an uphill wheel going over a hump that you have to worry about while going sideways on a slope. Some slopes you just plain cannot make it uphill or downhill (without sliding) with them wet, going straight up or down. In the dry, the tractor will climb or descend most slopes fine, in 4wd.

Ralph

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #3  
Here is another question that might leave some of you veterans scratching your heads at a newbie, however...here goes.

What is the max tilt or slope that you feel comfortable with? Granted, I know the standard "if you feel nervous then it's too much" kind of answer, but do tractor manufacturers engineer to a certain slope rating. Just curious.

You won't see a specific slope limitation. The manufacturers (Deere, at least) check the tractor (not all...probably just a small sample of a new design) per an ANSI spec on a tilt table (so a static test). IIRC, it's 20 degrees.
There is a sticky in the Safety Forum concerning roll over testing. It's linked to some videos and is a good read. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so. Good thread for both new and experienced operators.
I looked at the pictures you posted. It looks like your rear tires are set pretty wide. Do you know if the tires are filled?
Main thing is to use that seat belt religiously.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #4  
What the first two guys said. There are way to many variables to give a specific safe tilt angle. The seat of your pants is the best gauge - really. Plus to me it is a long slow careful learning experience. You have to get to know your machine and how to best approach various terrian. I go places now that I was scared to go at first, but that was good because back then I didn't know enough to go there and would have gotten in trouble. Going slow and low is always good.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt
You won't see a specific slope limitation. The manufacturers (Deere, at least) check the tractor (not all...probably just a small sample of a new design) per an ANSI spec on a tilt table (so a static test). IIRC, it's 20 degrees.
There is a sticky in the Safety Forum concerning roll over testing. It's linked to some videos and is a good read. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so. Good thread for both new and experienced operators.
I looked at the pictures you posted. It looks like your rear tires are set pretty wide. Do you know if the tires are filled?
Main thing is to use that seat belt religiously.

They are filled, thank goodness. I have a lot of hilly terrain and old logging roads throughout the property. I know one of the best teachers is seat time and I plan on getting as much as possible.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #6  
Use the "search" function and you will come up with hours of reading, NEBRASKASPARKS has some good threads with a lot of good feed back; others also have good threads.

I agree, take your time, run with your loader on and off, work on proper ballast and get as much seat time as possible. I have run tractors for years and "stable/safe" varies from one machine to the next and I start from scratch so to speak with any new tractor.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #7  

Not the SLOPE as much as a sudden CHANGE.
Look for roots, rocks, etc on the high side, look for dips and gopher holes on the low side.
Do NOT be staring at a goofy gauge.
If it feels bad then it IS bad.
Seat belt if you have ROPS, no seat belt if you don't have ROPS (better chance of being thrown clear).
Keep the bucket and anything on the 3pt low and be ready to dump them QUICKLY.

Probably the HARDEST thing is to steer DOWN the slope if/when things get really hairy.
However counter intuitive this may seem at the time, steering UP the slope is more likely to roll you.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #8  
I will address going across a slope. I have steep ground and have been considering a new tractor for mowing. I first found my greatest slope. I took an angle finder and a straight 4 foot piece of 2 x 4. I found one spot had an angle of 30 degrees. I divided that by 90 to get a slope of 33 percent. Ventrac and powertrac are the only tractors to advertise 40 percent slope or greater. These are with dual wheels. Steiner only advertises 30 degree slope. the problem is not rollover but oil to engine parts.

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #9  
Greg,

I agree with everything said but the main thing is go with your gut feeling. If it does not look safe, don't do it.

I am about 30min east of you and have been in Marion many times. My land is much the same so I have my tires filled and set out as far as possible. I have very little flat land on the 47 acers my home sits on so I am almost always on a slope. I keep the bucket low and the 3 pt low when going across the slope. If it is a area I have not had the tractor on I usually walk it first to find any holes or stumps that may be hidden. Most of my work I try to go up and down the steepest parts. Just be safe.

David

/ Slopes and tractor tilt #10  
I will address going across a slope. I have steep ground and have been considering a new tractor for mowing. I first found my greatest slope. I took an angle finder and a straight 4 foot piece of 2 x 4. I found one spot had an angle of 30 degrees. I divided that by 90 to get a slope of 33 percent. Ventrac and powertrac are the only tractors to advertise 40 percent slope or greater. These are with dual wheels. Steiner only advertises 30 degree slope. the problem is not rollover but oil to engine parts.
% is 100Tan. 30 is a 58% slope. A 40% slope is 22 degrees.
larry