Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372

Default How to plant a garden?

I know, it seems like a simple thing. But like a lot of things, simpler said than done. And if I'm going to try it, I'd like to do a competent job, or at least grow something edible.

I have a kubota BX and a Mitsubishi MT372. No plows, no tiller, no nothing for ground work. I DO have about an acre of open field, although it has not been worked in over 30 years that I know of. I still need to get a fence up and I've got one more tree to cut and get the stump out.

A tiller is out of the question right now. Unless I can run up on a screaming deal:laughing. Most likely I will get the fence up this year, get the tree out, buy the equipment I need, and get ready for next spring. Maybe even some late summer/fall crops. Cabbage and turnips and collards. YUMMY!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

Default Re: How to plant a garden?

If you don't have the funds at this time to buy the equipment needed or if no one in your area is able to plow/till you a small garden I would do raised beds. Get some boards 8-12" wide and make a raised bed, fill with good soil and plant. This is a easy way to get a small garden in by this Spring! And if you don't want the raised beds next year and have the equipment to till a garden you can disassemble and put the raised bed soil in your garden.

Make it 4-5' wide and how ever long you want/need. Great way to get started and hone your gardening skills!

David
    I suffer from MPD...Multiple Project Disorder

Quote Originally Posted by richamor View Post
    I know, it seems like a simple thing. But like a lot of things, simpler said than done. And if I'm going to try it, I'd like to do a competent job, or at least grow something edible.

I have a kubota BX and a Mitsubishi MT372. No plows, no tiller, no nothing for ground work. I DO have about an acre of open field, although it has not been worked in over 30 years that I know of. I still need to get a fence up and I've got one more tree to cut and get the stump out.

A tiller is out of the question right now. Unless I can run up on a screaming deal:laughing. Most likely I will get the fence up this year, get the tree out, buy the equipment I need, and get ready for next spring. Maybe even some late summer/fall crops. Cabbage and turnips and collards. YUMMY!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
    I do most of my gardening with a round mouth shovel and a hoe.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

You may also consider renting a 3pt tiller. Then at least you can give some crops a go and get the feel of a tiller. I venture to bet when you smell the earth and see the plants emerge, you will be "hooked"
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Quote Originally Posted by hunterridgefarm View Post
    If you don't have the funds at this time to buy the equipment needed or if no one in your area is able to plow/till you a small garden I would do raised beds. Get some boards 8-12" wide and make a raised bed, fill with good soil and plant. This is a easy way to get a small garden in by this Spring! And if you don't want the raised beds next year and have the equipment to till a garden you can disassemble and put the raised bed soil in your garden.

Make it 4-5' wide and how ever long you want/need. Great way to get started and hone your gardening skills!

David
    agreed

google "square foot gardening"

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

I hire out this time of year and again in fall to tractor till for folks that don't have equipment and I get busier every year.

So I bet you could find someone in your area to till you a spot say 24x24 whatever (an acre is a big garden!) for now and stick some seeds and transplants when they are available and water it and start enjoying a nice hobby right now!

fwtw I give myself enough room between rows 2 steps or 6' about so later I can run my rider mower between rows and keep the grass and weeds knocked down, that will help you keep it manageable until you get a tiller of your own. hth

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Don't skip this year. Some hand work will let you grow some tomatoes and a few other things.

As you plan for the future look at having a soil test done now. It is cheap and will let you start what additives are needed to balance your soils PH, that can take some time.

MarkV

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

A KK middle buster is only about $120-150 and will open up a nice patch and give you actual rows that you can use this year plus you can harvest your potatoes with it using your tractor!

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
    Don't skip this year. Some hand work will let you grow some tomatoes and a few other things.

As you plan for the future look at having a soil test done now. It is cheap and will let you start what additives are needed to balance your soils PH, that can take some time.

MarkV
    Per Mark's comment, most land-grant universities offer soil-testing services either free or for a nominal fee. You should be able to pick up testing kits at your local Cooperative Extension office.

Also, the Horticulture Departments at land-grant universities publish online gardening guides for their respective states. Check the one for your state.

Happy gardening.

Steve

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372

Quote Originally Posted by hunterridgefarm View Post

David
    That looks doable. Looking at the plot we've picked for the garden, I've got a bit more work to do than I initially thought (imagine that), so the SFG may be all we get this year. Not really enough to can, but enough to get us through summer into fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
    I do most of my gardening with a round mouth shovel and a hoe.
    In Wisconsin I'll bet that's very likely. Great soil you have up there. Here in the SC piedmont all I have is red clay and white quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkV View Post

As you plan for the future look at having a soil test done now. It is cheap and will let you start what additives are needed to balance your soils PH, that can take some time.MarkV
    I can do that this week. Fortunately there's a Clemson extension in town. I've had them out here before when I had fire blight on the pear trees.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast