Best way to pull up cedar??

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #12  
I don't know about your cedar but here if you cut below lowes limb they don't grow back. I cut them off, wait about a year and go back with bucket and they push out pretty easy.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #13  
I'm talking about that bush-type cedar that branches out into a dozen trunks a couple of inches off the ground, and gets up to the size of a house. It's horrible stuff, spreading like wildfire and sucking every molecule of moisture from the ground. I have two major enemies in life: fire ants and cedar.

The actual name of that stuff is Juniperus ashei, also know as Ashe Juniper or Mountain Cedar. Here's a good discussion about the various ways to get rid of it: Clearing & Removing Ashe Juniper. We have lots on our property in Burnet County, and we cleared about 5 acres by hiring a neighbor with a shear mounted on his skid steer. Worked great, but it's a never-ending battle.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #14  
Think I'll back right out of this thread. Those look like "weed-ceders".
Much different than our ceder trees!

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #15  
There are two types of cedar in Texas, red berry and blue berry... if you have the red berry and mow them off, they will sprout back as a bush... the blue berry will die... Here in Lampasas County, I simply push over as many as I can. I have an L2800 so I have to pick my battles... for cedars that are too big, I cut them off at ground level.. Good luck.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #16  
Drawbar pull works good. Just keep it below the level of your rear axle to keep from flipping your tractor.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #17  
Yep, dealing with a lot them on our new property. In he past I've used a combination of tactics. I've used the towbar to yank, used a chain with a 3pt drawbar to lift, used the FEL to dig/bump and now the new project which is almost finished is a stump bucket build for my skid steer. Main reason is that in all the number of junipers (cedars) that I've pulled expecially with the FEL is now I've go a minor leak in one of the lift cylinders so I'll have to rebuild it and my tractor is only 3 years old.

BTW; Howdy dougster. I've moved to my new property in Topsey.

[edit] I would liken a stump bucket to a FEL as a garden shovel is to a snow shovel.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #18  
Hidy Ho RPW..... I wondered what happened to you... I've been saving my mesquite for ya.. <grin> .. Where the heck is Topsey?

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #19  
it is more about for tree stumps. but i do not see why it would not work for the bushes.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...get-trees.html

one thing i dislike trying to get up, under a bush, and wrapping a chain around them. ya end up looking like you been in a cat fight, and the cat won.

a warning though. do not use nylon rope or any rope for that matter. ropes will stretches, and if the rope snaps. it could deadly or very pain full if it snaps back and nails you.

chains, and metal cable. yes they can stretch. but there is much less rubber band effect to them. so if they do snap, more than likely they won't go flying and nail you or the tractor. they can, but much less likely to.

if the bushes are fairly small. i might do a baby crawl first. but if that is no good. i will put just a little bit of slack in the chain. lower the hitch as much as possible without rubbing on ground, and then let off the clutch with some gas. and the bushes / small trees come right on out. ((problem with this last statement is, you will be more prone to roll the tractor, so be ready with pressing the clutch in.)) and with the last method, it can yank you pretty good, if the bush doesn't come out.

though i tend to find that i need to wrap the chain around most bushes a couple times maybe up to 3 times. in order to get majority of the roots out. resulting in me having to have a couple chains. it would be nice to have a "bush grabber" vs having to redo some chains because the chains slipped up and over the branches or broke all the branches off.

i haven't tried what others have done in the one link. and next time i need to go pull some bushes / small tree stumps. i will be doing the old leaver trick to see how it works. i would think being able to not have the tractor almost right on top of me, while hooking the chain up on bush. but just a small A stand pipe or old wheel rim. to deal with. would save me some good cuts on my face and arms.

/ Best way to pull up cedar?? #20  
Having used a hand puller Weed Wrench, you learn to make repeated pulls to break the small roots first instead of one big yank. Each pull breaks additional small roots until it comes out.