Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Default Re: Large 2WD compacts with FEL

deere now has a utility economy tractor debuting for 2003. With a loader you can get the 44hp model for well under $20k with any kind of a deal at all. This is specifically what this model of tractor was designed to do.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/featur...-tractors.html

Veteran Member
    Cambridge New York (north of Albany, next to Vermont)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1967 Oliver 1550 with fel

I've got an Oliver 1550 with a factory loader. It's not a compact (62 hp), but it's 2 wd. I use it for loader work almost daily for everything from manure to rocks. For my use, 4 wd is certainly not neccessary.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    None, for now. :(

I've got some time on my old Long 35 hp 2wd w/ FEL. The previous owner had installed oversize front tires, this, I believe, helps enormously.

As has been mentioned above, match your tractor to your job, I would also add, match it to the terrain on which you'll be working and other variables such as whether you will need to work regardless of the conditions. For example, will you need to work the tractor in all conditions such as mud, snow etc. or are you like me, in that when conditions really get soupy, I don't have to do tractor work.

Using a 2wd tractor in the mud is not impossible, but it requires more careful operation to prevent the obvious, getting stuck, and to prevent the heart stopping sideways slide.

Our property is a rectangle w/ a shallow "V" in the middle w/ a 5-8% grade towards, the front and back. I've yet to have a problem when I pay attention.

Clint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12