Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Where the Redwoods meet the Sea (CA,OR.boarder) in the State of Jefferson
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Default Re: What type of contractors licences?

May be I should looking at this as property maintenance as in maintaining existing drive ways, fence lines, mowing and tilling?
    "You only need two tools in life- WD-40 and DUCT TAPE. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use DUCT TAPE."

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

Addicted to a DK45S

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Quote Originally Posted by quadpa1911 View Post
    So What type of contractors licences when using your tractor for tilling, mowing, drive way grading (Back Box), post hole drilling, and misc. backhoe work. I haven't been able to pin point anything for the State of Jefferson (California)
    Quote Originally Posted by orezok View Post
    ]In California there are several overlapping classifications.

C12 - Earthwork and Paving Contractors An earthwork and paving contractor digs, moves, and places material forming the surface of the earth, other than water, in such a manner that a cut, fill, excavation, grade, trench, backfill, or tunnel (if incidental thereto) can be executed, including the use of explosives for these purposes. This classification includes the mixing, fabricating and placing of paving and any other surfacing materials.

C27 - Landscaping Contractor A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement.

Or the Do All classification
    A - General Engineering Contractor. A general engineering contractor is a contractor whose principal contracting business is in connection with fixed works requiring specialized engineering knowledge and skill, including the following divisions or subjects: irrigation, drainage, water power, water supply, flood control, inland waterways, harbors, docks and wharves, shipyards and ports, dams and hydroelectric projects, levees, river control and reclamation works, railroads, highways, streets and roads, tunnels, airports and airways, sewers and sewage disposal plants and systems, waste reduction plants, bridges, overpasses, underpasses and other similar works, pipelines and other systems for the transmission of petroleum and other liquid or gaseous substances, parks, playgrounds and other recreational works, refineries, chemical plants and similar industrial plants requiring specialized engineering knowledge and skill, powerhouses, power plants and other utility plants and installations, mines and metallurgical plants, land leveling and earthmoving projects, excavating, grading, trenching, paving and surfacing work and cement and concrete works in connection with the above mentioned fixed works.

If you need to really know all the classifications go here.
    Licensing Classifications - Contractors State License Board
    i would say, you fall under a landscape person.

but if the general engineer contractor is not that much more. i would say get that. to cover any extra.
    Ryan

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    i would say, you fall under a landscape person.

but if the general engineer contractor is not that much more. i would say get that. to cover any extra.

i used to have a calif electrical and general contractors license, and you just dont "get one of these"

I had to show 4 years supervised experience in that field and pass the tests.

I still think a general business license might do it. it all really depends on the size of jobs you are doing. i believe Calif still rates its levels of work vs license requirements in relation to $$$ charged. i believe it used to be under $600 no license is required.

remember, with that license comes, commercial insurance, contractor bond insurance, workman's comp (even if you have no employees.

just something to consider
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Where the Redwoods meet the Sea (CA,OR.boarder) in the State of Jefferson
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

So after worming my way through the California's Department of Consumer Affairs Contractor State License Board it looks like the C27 Landscape license or follow the Exemption listed in the Q&A section. and most likely to happen.

Minor Work Exemption

(B&P 7048)
    Is it true a contractor's license is not required if the work to be performed is under $500?

Yes, B&P section 7048 (Small Operations) provides an exemption from licensure for minor work if the aggregate contract price, including labor, materials, etc. is less than $500. This exemption does not apply if the "minor work" is part of a larger project. Example: A homeowner is having a kitchen remodeled at a total cost of $6,000 and decides to sublet the flooring work which is only $300. The person doing the flooring would not be exempt from licensure because the overall cost of the project was over $500. In addition, jobs cannot be broken down into hourly fees in order to sidestep the $500 threshold.

Agriculture Exemption

(B&P 7049)
    What is agriculture exemption?

B&P section 7049 provides an exemption from licensure for any "construction or operation incidental to the construction and repair of irrigation and drainage ditches of regularly constituted irrigation districts, reclamation districts, or to farming, dairying, agriculture, viticulture, horticulture, or stock or poultry raising, or clearing or other work upon the land in rural districts for fire prevention purposes". However, if a licensed contractor performs work included in the agriculture exemption, CSLB has jurisdiction over complaints. (B&P 7049)

"You only need two tools in life- WD-40 and DUCT TAPE. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use DUCT TAPE."

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

Addicted to a DK45S

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I would get the business license and the landscaping license along with all the other things you will need mentioned above. A CPA who has bookkeepers working who can keep track of everything for you is needed too.

I would have the CPA before the first job to get this started on the right foot. I would expect the first few years to be real tough, it can get better if you have patience and do a good job for your customers. To succeed you need to get top dollar for your work and to get top dollar you need to do a good job FOR GOOD CUSTOMERS. It is very difficult to compete with established competitors by cutting the price, you will wind up with their cast off customers. Word of mouth can work for you or against you, make sure you are on the right page.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    i used to have a calif electrical and general contractors license, and you just dont "get one of these"

As grsthegreat stated, you can't just "get a license" in California. You have to have demonstrable proof that you have worked in the specific trade for 4 years prior to applying for a license. In reality, many people prevaricate to bypass this requirement. The issue with this is if someone files a complaint against you and the board investigates, you're in deep Bandini!

You will also have to show knowledge of labor laws, payroll and pass a written exam. Final requirement is to purchase a $12,500 bond to cover your work.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post
    In CT you would need a Home improvement registration number.
    They are very careful to say it is not a license because that sounds like you have passed some type of test.

The big issue for you breaking ground wth a BH or PHD, is underground insurance. In Joe Biden's own words "That's a big f-ing deal"

Drill into a fiber optic line, you better have the right coverage

JB.
    Don't most states have a hotline to call before digging? You call, they come and mark out the underground utilities. No brainer there.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Quote Originally Posted by QRTRHRS View Post
    Don't most states have a hotline to call before digging? You call, they come and mark out the underground utilities. No brainer there.
    I imagine all do, and you better use it. Hit a utility outside there mark your ok, get to close to their mark and hit one, it's on you.

My buddy pulled up alot of stuff that was not supposed to be there, including 18,000 volt primary, he said when it broke it was like standing in a thunderbolt. Blind and deaf for a few moments.

Hit a trunk phone line, I don't know the circumstances, if it was marked or not, but he said his insurance paid AT&T dearly for it.

JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I think that is the case in most states today, I know I have checked and couldn't find anyone else in my area who has all three master licenses for General Construction, Electrical and Mechanical as I do. Several have two classifications though and requirements are the same as CA.

California is soon to require a license to breath.

When i was a contractor in calif, all you needed to do the type of work your tsalking about (as long as it wasnt state paid work) was a simple business license.

im not sure if it has changed much.
    Along with simple business license you need to have commercial driver's license.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12