Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #1  

arkydog

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota 3200hst loader and bh77 backhoe, allis chalmers 816 backhoe
I just bought a home with 3 acres (all lawn around house) and am wondering whether to use the 1974 Kubota B6200 w/fel and mmm(48" cut) 750 hours, or my garden tractor with 42" cut (1999) which will take longer. If, I decide to use the garden tractor, has anyone added one or two 22" push mowers to pull behind it for extra cutting width?

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #2  
Doesn't the kubota with the MMM give a nicer cut than the lawn tractor?

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor
They are just about the same finish, Kubota is 6" wider than garden tractor and will give me mor time to use the fel, if it isn"t all worn out from using it to cut grass.

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #4  
For me it's a matter of sink & patch versus a few more minutes to mow with the Ford 120. If your soil conditions permit using the Kubota and you don't have to pull lots of tight turns that chew your lawn, use whatever is more fun.
Adding extra mower decks is more of a pain ITA getting everything cutting at the same height and running properly than it is worth.

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #5  
Do you plan on leaving the fel on when mowing,for w/fel on just something else you have to keep an /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif on when mowing.

Not knowing if your land flat,hilly,how many trees etc..to mowe around also if the B6200 is HST,and you want to mowe your lawn quickly.

I would think your garden tractor would be easier to handle for mowing..less hours on your B6200 and you could always use the B6200 for back up if your garden tractor was down for repairs.

Neither tractor of yours have power steering,but your garden tractor going to seem like it had power steering after useing B6200 mowing w/the fel attach...just my 2 cents worth...also have you check into gang mowers,might be the answer for mowing your 3 arces of lawn.

Yes, I would plan on leaving the fel on. Kind of Makes sence to leave the Kubota for major jobs (fel work). I haven"t checked into gang mowers yet, But with the ST. louis airport making us move, I would better afford to try to make something, if possible, like the two push mowers drug behind the garden tractor. Any suggestions or ideas?

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #7  
I have a 1978 B6100 with FEL and a Craftsman 46" GT mower that I use on my 4 acres.
I don't have a mower for the Kubota now but when the Craftsman dies, I'll probably get a 5' 3 Pt hitch finish mower for the Kubota. The FEL is not a quick attach so that means it will probably need to stay on.

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #8  
i use my b2400 with 5ft finish mower for the wide open areas, but for around the house i use the sears gt, too many trees and too many turns for the tractor. really depends on your ground conditions and how many trees.

/ Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tractor #9  
Re: Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tract

If you leave the FEL on and hang a mower on the back it will take a large area to turn the rig around.

Re: Use older CUT w/FEL to mow or use garden tract

I'm now leaning toward saving the Kubota w/fel for the big stuff. Use the garden tractor for mowing the nearly flat and only about 8 trees, 3 acres and trying to widen the mow path of the garden tractor. I searched gang mowers and they kinka sound too good to be true. Between $1000 and $1600 , I can get 60" to 84" of reel mower. Anybody have experience with these?

arkydog

Thanks for all the responses!!!!!!