Not disappointed with plow and disc

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc #1  

jsanders420

Tractor
MF 1533
:thumbsup:

I've been getting the gardens ready for spring planting for the first time with my MF 1533. Last year I used the turning plow for a small garden then had a friend with a tiller come in and smooth it.

I don't have a tiller and tought I was going to have to buy one since I am upscaling my gardening. I'm one of the many newly unemplowed with extra time and decided to make my 13 acres a full time job, hence larger gardens! I turned the small garden and turned a new spot about 1/2 acre so I could learn how to garden with the tractor.

Yesterday I disced both. The small plot was smooth after about 3 passes and broken up 10 times better than I expected.:D

The larger plot was a mess because I turned it 2 plots then connected them and they were in different directions, anyway, real lumpy. A few passes and the were level and the soil looking good. I may disc it a little more, not sure.

Question: On the big garden should I wait now till planting and plow with chisel plow and then rake? That's what I'm thinking. Any past experience is appreciatied!!

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc #2  
Due to an unfortunate childhood, I avoid gardening and hay production.:laughing:, however if bpfick doesn't show up, contact him or check his old threads as he has done rather successfully what you are planning; lots of good information.

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc #3  
Not sure I completely understand the question. If you’ve already got the dirt turned and disked, why would you need to plow this year? What sort of rake are you thinking? It’s probably just me, but I’m not following.

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc #4  
First, you can make garden beds with the tools you have, whatever they might be, from a rake and shovel (strong back required) :laughing: to tillers (either 3 pt or walk behind) or plow/disk/field cultivator/drag harrow combo.

This isn't one right way. But there's a lot of wrong ways.
- Wrong is not plowing clay or new ground in fall.
- Wrong is going over and over stuff while it's wet underneath and creating compaction.
- Wrong is working clay when it's too wet and making clod the size and hardness of bricks.

Right is learned through experience and is as much art as science.

Go take your camera out there and grab us some photos, OK? It is such a huge help to have visuals on these things. Precise, concise information is much more useful than pages of posts shooting randomly.

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc
OK. Pictures to follow. What I was calling a rake is the cultivator. I didn't really plan to be doing this last year so I didn't turn till a month ago. But I hope the old addage "Better late than never" applies to turning later in the year! I'll know next fall.

I was wondering if I need to use the cultivator now or wait till planting time and make rows. It's only about 3 weeks away down here.

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc #6  
Is this, or something similar, what you intend to cultivate it?

If so, it needs to be on the dry side, of course. If you plowed three weeks ago, You might have some of the sod rotted down by now. Give it whirl!!!!
Since you want to plant in three weeks, if the cultivator doesn't work well for you, you'll need to either borrow/hire a disk or better, rent a roto tiller.

Need to see those photos though. Thanks,

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc
Yep, that's it. I'm going to disk a couple more times then hit it with the cultivator. We are pretty dry here for now.

/ Not disappointed with plow and disc #8  
i know exactly what your problem is on those plots,you plowed them both against the grain thus making them real rough.now go back an disc everything in 1 direction till it gets everything smooth.an then lay your rows out the way that its been disked.in other words you go with the grain.