What's ailing my bota 4610"

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #131  
Re: What\'s ailing my bota 4610\"

Sorry guys, something came up and I didn't get to post a pic with the pump out of the package. It works sort of like a bicycle pump. Actually it has an air hose attachment for that purpose. The small black tube is the one that is used to suck oil from the oil pan through the dipstick tube. It works pretty well with the orange tubes. It sucks in the top and out the bottom. I have had it for about 15 years. The price sticker is still on it and it says $13.99. I think that I got it at Wal-Mart.

Attachments

• 239425-3-N-1 Pump2.JPG
    239425-3-N-1 Pump2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 219
   / What's ailing my bota 4610" #132  

First off… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welcome aboard Nailerguy! I can understand where you may have come up with your screen name… /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I know you hit the “nail on the head” on one of your statements… /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( …without a doubt this board is the most polite and "gentlemanly" board I have found. People here are genuinely trying to help other members without regard for the "color" of their tractor… )</font>

…and when all is said and done and over with… you’re probably gonna be two for two… /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( …you need to put more oil into the tractor to cover the pickup on the pump, I would
estimate 3 to 4 quarts should allow you to drive the tractor out of there… )</font>

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #133  

SMM ,
I don't know Jack about tractors (or much else depending on who you talk to /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) But this thread has got me hooked . I keep coming back here hoping you've got both your machines back home safe and dry . John

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #134  

Please pardon me if this has already been thought of or suggested-

How about a Hi Lift jacks, or better yet a pair of them? I've seen them used to lift Jeeps straight up, so there should be enough power there. I'll bet the cost would be a lot less than what a wrecker might charge and someone you know might have a use for them in the future /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Using a chain secured to something like a tree up the slope, the jack could be used to drag the 'Bota up the slope- only a few feet, but it's progress. Once the travel limit of the jack is reached, the tractor could be either be secured directly to the chain while the jack is reset for the next pull, or the other jack could be set up to take the next leg.

If concentrated will is going to help, I'm adding myself to the assemblage that is rooting for you.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #135  

How about something like Superwinch? You can get the S9000 model, bring a battery and some chains to chain it to trees, and one pulley block. Use this battery powered winch and attempt to get that tractor out of there. On the other side of the coin, this same winch can be used for future projects as you can hook it to the tractor battery.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #136  

<font color="blue">How about something like Superwinch? You can get the S9000 model, bring a battery and some chains to chain it to trees, and one pulley block. </font>

Or...maybe...you could chain it to the tractor and hook it to the tractor battery...run the tractor to keep the battery up...

We're gonna think that tractor outa' there yet! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #137  

TractorlessSacto got me thinking. How about you get a set of car ramps and put them behind the rear tires. Then if you can some how back up on to them (I will let others pop in here with suggestions for that) you will have your tractor closer to being level. Then you can get a better idea of what your hydro fluid is and it might also be easier to add more. Either way it would be interesting to see how your tractor acts with the rear tires up a little higher.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #138  

My experience is that simpler, manual methods are hard to beat in the field, being less prone to failure. A winch capable of producing the same pull as a jack is going to be expensive and pull a lot of current, especially on a 12V supply. (It's amazing what a human being can do with some leverage.) In most cases the problem isn't lifting or moving something, it's preserving the gains made- preventing it from falling or slipping back.

Also, you have to consider that if the winch is at the top of the slope, a certain (potentially large) percentage of its power is being consumed dragging the cable over and through all the intervening obstacles. It's better, if possible, to have the chain or cable stationary and have your pull between it and the tractor.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #139  

SmokyMtnMan,

Just thought of something that won't help you get that tractor off the hillside but might be a useful data point later.

If you took a small carpenters level out with you next time you could make a measurement that would tell a mechanic later how steep that slope was, in pretty exact terms.

Might be useful having that info should the tractor start working normally when it is back on level ground.

Just mark [or remember] a point on the hood where you rest one end of the level. Then measure from the other end of the level [bottom edge that is resting on the hood] down to the surface below it. The length of the level gives you the run, the vertical measurement gives you the rise, and the angle can easily be calculated [and duplicated later if necessary]. If the hood is curved that can be adjusted for later if you remember the point where the level rested on it.

A vision of your tractor climbing up one of those tilt bed trucks appeared in my head last night...or was it trying to climb that tilted bed? Not sure... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't remember anyone suggesting a measurement like this in previous posts. Nice to have exact data to back you up sometimes...keep your chin up...

/ What's ailing my bota 4610"

I wanted to update those of you following this. Yesterday, I went over to tractor and took some hyd. fluid, siphon, homemade funnel with long hose and a flexible spout. I managed to get about a gallon of fluid in.
I started her up pumped the hydro pedal some, then it finally broke loose and moved about 6 feet. But as there is severe slope there and some potholes and wheel troughs where from previous attempts.....i had to try to give it more throttle. And every time I gave it more throttle, it would stop moving forward. Then I would shut it off, pump the pedal forward, then back of pedal a few times, cut it back on, and the wheels would lunge forward some, but each time I would get to where I had to get over a hump or out of a trough, it would stop.
I almost just let it back down the mountain to a level area and see if I could check it better and get a good running start up the mountain to get out, but I guess I got chicken. Just hated to be worse off than I am now. It's about 125 to 150 ft from top of hill where it's a more level area.
Do you think I just didn't get enough fluid in? Do I need to do something different as far as pumping the pedal to get any air out of it?
It's still pretty soggy over there, but It's suppose to rain later in week..just wanted to try to do something.

as far as anyone else getting anything over there to pull it out, at this moment you have to go through a very muddy and deeply routed road that gets no sun at all, then up a steep logging road, then through a swamp, across a grassy knoll, then through a tobacco field that's very soggy, then down the mountain