What's ailing my bota 4610"

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #221  
Re: What\'s ailing my bota 4610\"

That tiller cable winch pull idea is one that should remain hindsite I beleve.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #222  

I'm guessing you know this already, but always check hydraulic oil with all hydraulic rams extended. This way the system is showing the level in a working mode. Congrats on the recoveries, Stuff like this can be agony.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610"

had a partial check on tractor today by a fellow who is a tractor technician for a farm equipment co....but he is a New Holland guy..not Orange. Says everything looks ok as far as he can tell, no leaks, or any malfunction on pumps and reservoir. I think he agrees that maybe something happened with the hyd. log splitter and maybe i just happen to get it in a 'freaky' position on that slope where the fluid just got below the top of intake and air got in it...but...anyway, I'll not be using it until i get it to Kubota dealer.
Once again, thanks guys...thanks so much for the support.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #224  

W/ double acting cylinders it doesn't matter where they are at, same fluid on both sides.
About the only single acting on most tractors is the 3 PT lift cylinders and not much oil in them.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #225  

SMM, Congratulations on getting yourself up out of there under your own power.

<font color="blue"> "Seems to be running fine, all i've tried works, no smells, no leaks, fluid shows just a 'hair' above mark on stick."</font>

Your original report sounds great. You also say an on-site tech diagnosis seems to confirm your tractor's operating like it should. Since the fluid in your tractor's HST system is up to the proper operating level now, I think it would be difficult to duplicate the problem. I suppose you could always go back down that hill and try it again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On my tractor there's a simple pressure test that can be performed to determine if the charge pump is operating correctly. Unless the tractor is not working right in some other way (ie; no movement, noise, wrong direction, etc.) the other major checkpoint outside of visual inspection of linkages, pedal movement, and oil level is the spin on transmission filter. On the Deere the HST filter is the main pickup point for feeding the charge pump. There are two anti-cavitation valves also, located in the valve block. Anyhow, oil from the sump is drawn thru the spin on filter by the charge pump. Kinda simple theory, No flow, No go. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

On the Deere changing out the filter is SOP in eliminating diagnosed HST problems. Maybe your system's operation is similar. You might want to replace it yourself after this ordeal. A dealer will probably want to anyway.

Let us know how things turns out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DFB

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #226  

DFB suggests:

<font color="blue"> I suppose you could always go back down that hill and try it again.
</font>

If it were me I would not rest easy until I did exactly that, and found everything to work properly.

But...it would be in June, NOT March... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #227  

Not exactly, When the cylinder rod is extended, there is more fluid in the cylinder than when it's retracted since the cylinder ram itself displaces fluid. I realize this is splitting hairs, but that's the way the manual for my tractor says to do it so that's the procedure I follow.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #228  

I'm really curious what the fluid level was once you got back on level ground? Was it low? To me there's a big difference if the problem was the combination of low fluid level coupled with the extreme incline, versus some other explaination. If the fluid was low then you can fill it back up and go back off the end of the earth with confidence (ar at least more confidence). If the level is OK then I think you need to go looking for some other explaination.

Thanks,

Peter

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #229  

Maybe Hydros should have a "tilt meter" mounted lengthwise as standard equipment??????? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #230  

Exactly.

IS there a maximum operating incline for a hydro tractor? If so, what it is?

If there is, I would think that it would be a published manufaturer's spec unless they figure it is so ridiculously steep that no one in his right mind (except SmokeyMtnMan) would attempt such a thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif