What's ailing my bota 4610"

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #1  

SmokyMtnMan

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L-4610 Cab
What\'s ailing my bota 4610\"

I posted this in Kubota discussion but I'm in kind of an urgent need here since tractor is in a bad place.
I have a bota 4610 cab tractor with hydrostatic drive. I got my Kawaski Mule in a bit of a bind while ago in the woods and couldn't get it to climb out. So, I took the tractor over and hooked up chain to mule...started pulling and was halfway up the hill when it just stopped going forward. Now, there was no smell of anything and no sounds...just suddenly acted like it wouldn't move.
Engine is fine, no parking brake on, idles and rpm increases with throttle...but when i press down on the hydro pedal...either in forward or reverse...it just sits there.
I'm aware of how hydros act when climbing hills...you have to 'feather' the pedal some and let it catch up and then go on..it dies down rather easily when on steep incline. But this...it won't even move now.
The hill is steep, yes, but not anything that i havent' gone up before.
Anyone know what the deal is here?

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #2  
Re: What\'s ailing my bota 4610\"

Did you check that you have hydro fluid in it? Did you check the linkages from the pedals? Always check for the obvious when troubleshooting anything. We all know about the old, "Is it plugged in?" question! <G>

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #3  
Re: What\'s ailing my bota 4610

Or most obvious, did you check the range selector as maybe it was bumped and try L, M and H?

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #4  

I have absolutely no clue except for the same as was mentioned earlier about the "gear range' being in neutral but I don't think you would have overlooked that. Keep us posted as I have a 4610 as well.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #5  

By posting this, I reveal one of my Stupid Tractor Tricks...

Did you run over anything? I ran over a stump one time. It was just the right height to go under the front axel, but high enough to crush the gas tank up into the shift linkages.

Nice, huh?

The solution was straightforward -- careful application of the 9-foot prybar (after removing the stump with Mr. Chainsaw) brought the gas tank down to (roughly) its original location. Which freed up the shift linkages. And off we went.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610"

thought I would update a little on my problem. And thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts on this. I walked over to where tractor is just now through the mud and slush and took a list of your suggestions with me. I worked the range lever real good, trying to feel for anything that was abnormal, worked it in and out of low to med to neutral and back. At first I had a little trouble getting it out of low but a light tap on the brake got it out. I think the range lever and attachments are fine.
Next, I looked at where the clutch comes out through the floorboard underneath. I was by myself so i couldnt reach pedal and watch at same time, but I couldn't see anything not attached or not linked. Of course I'm not a mechanic so I may not have seen something.
Then i worked the hydro pedal with my hand and watched underneath. I couldn't get fully down under there with my body but I could see the rod coming from the hyrdo pedal, the spring it's attached to, and felt the movement as i touched rear of hydro pedal for reverse and front of pedal for forward motion. And again, not a mechanic but there just doesn't seem to be anything loose or not working properly.
Then I cranked her up, moved throttle lever a bit toward me, then engaged clutch, moved range lever in and out of neutral and low, heard and felt it lock into low...then stepped on hydro pedal.......nothing. No engine noise change, no jerk, no sound, no while, just as if that hydro pedal wasn't even there.
so then i checked hydro fluid......couldn't get to it real good but i made a funnel out of a paper towel holder and tried to get a little in.
Started it again...and nothing.
walked back to house.
so i got a Ford F-150 stuck in the mud at my pond, a Kawasaki Mule that won't climb the hill behind my tractor and can't get out...and a 4610 that willl pull it out but won't move now.

and i didn't see a Deere or a Kioti or a rubberneck passing by to help or anything...

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #7  

Can you get a wrecker within cable length and maybe a few log chains? Maybe get someone to bring a dozer over and get everything pulled out for you and up out of the mud?It sounds to me like a couple $200 spent might help you out a lot.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610"

wrecker can't get over there....dozer sounds like an idea. Not sure who or where I'll find one, but that's an idea. I have a neighbor with a big MFerguson but he gets in late from work. At least if it was on level ground i could tell something better about the fluid levels. Sure is strange...only 85 hrs on the tractor too.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #9  

by any chance did u call the dealer u bought it from and ask them? with only 85 hrs on it they should be able to help.

/ What's ailing my bota 4610" #10  

If you have the parts breakdown drawings from either the Operator's Manual or the Workshop Manual it might be worth making a copy of the section containing the hydro linkage and taking it out to the tractor to see if you can match up the parts. Kind of help you see what you should be seeing when you look under there.