For the 70th time

/ For the 70th time #31  
I've got 3 farmalls that are pushing 70 years old. Two of the three will fire right up without even cranking after sitting for a couple of months in the dead of winter. I mean you can't even tell they roll over - pull the starter rod and it's just running! It amazes me every single time. The third might roll over 2 or 3 turns and it fires right up too. That one has a magneto, the other two are distributer ignition - all original 6 volt.

Awesome, if you ask me.

/ For the 70th time #32  
This old Ford out lived my friend here and he was 96 when he passed away just before X-Mas. I believe it's an 8N bought by him in 1948 and used by one owner everyday for all those years !
He had the engine rebuilt just once that he mentioned to me.

JB

Your friend looks like a guy who lived life well.

/ For the 70th time #33  
My brother still has my Dad's old 1939 Allis Chalmers WC, and uses it regularly. 72 years old and still fires right up and works like always. It's been through at least 3 different fuel types ("tractor fuel", LP gas, and gasoline) and has worked on both 6 and 12 volt electrical systems, but as far as I know, the engine and transmission have never been opened up. Pretty amazing.

/ For the 70th time #34  
Somewhere--maybe Farm Show--I read about a tractor with some amazing
number of hours on it that had never had a bolt on the engine or drivetrain touched.
Can't recall the hours but maybe 16,000 or 20,000?

/ For the 70th time #35  
I have a 1966 (45 years old) Farmall 140 that I bought last summer to cultivate a garden and about 5 acres of pumpkins. Also use it to side dress several acres of corn. My grandfather has a 1967 140 that he bought new in 1967. He had the engine overhauled once in about 1985. He is 83 and still uses it today.

I know of one tomatoe farmer that has three Farmall 140's that him and his two sons use. Another tomatoe farmer across the road has one 140.

A guy I sell pumpkins to has five Farmall 140's that he has purchased over the years.

Mine still cranks instantly and will purr like a kitten. Put new plugs, wire, condenser, rotor button, and points in it last week. Ready to work again this year. I plan to use it until I die (and I'm only 38). And hope to live a very long life. :thumbsup:

Chris