1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO??

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO?? #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I've been working on my 1720 SSS lately and just finished installing a Garrett 1752 turbo off a Saab, huge difference but a bit on the big side. I僧 looking for a smaller turbo or possibly install a second (twins)!!

Any way I was looking at the repair manual because I want to install a 10 micron filter in the return line for the transmission/hydraulics. Having a suction strainer only does not suit me.
While looking at the hydraulic flow diagram I happened to brows thru the pto repair section and noticed that the 1720 SSS had a 2 speed pto option.
Has anyone seen one of these and if so what is the 2nd speed?? Are they available?

I also want to install a creeper gear, at times low is not low enough.
I致e had this tractor quite a while and like the size, features & reliability and want to keep it that way. I also have Agg & turf tires so I have no intention of selling or trading.
Lastly I致e been watching rust slowly eat away at the sheet metal and I want to restore it before it gets out of hand but patching holes for a showroom look would take quite some time.
Then I thought Line-X which can be colored for the fenders & floorboards. Any thoughts?
Tim

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO??
No it went quite smoothly no snags to speak of. Quite a lot of time invested in the layout and fabrication of the manifold/turbo adaptor. As with any project of this nature the time is in the planning of all the details.
The hardest part was pulling the front axle so I could drop the oil pan to drill & tap the block for the turbo drain.

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO?? #4  
I just have to ask.... why in the world did you put a turbo on a 1720?

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO?? #5  
I've been working on my 1720 SSS lately and just finished installing a Garrett 1752 turbo off a Saab, huge difference but a bit on the big side. I僧 looking for a smaller turbo or possibly install a second (twins)!!

Any way I was looking at the repair manual because I want to install a 10 micron filter in the return line for the transmission/hydraulics. Having a suction strainer only does not suit me.
While looking at the hydraulic flow diagram I happened to brows thru the pto repair section and noticed that the 1720 SSS had a 2 speed pto option.
Has anyone seen one of these and if so what is the 2nd speed?? Are they available?

I also want to install a creeper gear, at times low is not low enough.
I致e had this tractor quite a while and like the size, features & reliability and want to keep it that way. I also have Agg & turf tires so I have no intention of selling or trading.
Lastly I致e been watching rust slowly eat away at the sheet metal and I want to restore it before it gets out of hand but patching holes for a showroom look would take quite some time.
Then I thought Line-X which can be colored for the fenders & floorboards. Any thoughts?
Tim

At a GUESS it is 1,000 RPM, which is a sorta standard speed for (some) front mount attachments - maybe mid mount too.
You might be able to pick up the parts for it at a breaker's yard - though the chances are slim at best.

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO?? #6  
"Low is not low enough"???

Don't you have the 12 x 12 shuttle? If so, it has 3 different ranges (Low, Med, Hi) in addition to the 4 gears. Low and 1-4 are pretty slow, with Low-1 barely moving, no-matter what the RPMs! Just out of curiosity, what do you use such a slow speed for? Seems kind of contraditory with a machine that now has a turbo!

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO??
djradz
Yes it is a 12x12 SSS!
I live in the NE and use a 60 snow blower and the first pass down the driveway can be overwhelming for my tractor and requires me to frequently use the clutch to stop movement and allow the snow blower to clear or the engine would stall. Clearing my mailbox is even worse with 3 or more feet of heavy plowed snow in front of it. This is the primary reason I would like the creeper gears. Don稚 want to abuse my clutch!

Tom7265
As for the turbo, well the turbo just kind-a happened.
More power has been on my mind for years but I was content and not going to spend thousands to upgrade tractors for more HP.
I was at a swap meet and spotted this turbo which looked to be an easy installation. The exhaust inlet was 1.5 inches diameter and the turbo out was 2.0 same as my engine and I bought it for $35 in like new condition.
That is why I installed a turbo on my 1720 it just kind-a happened.

So now even with my turbo and additional sulfur belching horse power which now lets me plow thru snow without bogging down I still would like the creeper gears so I can select a speed that will let the snow blower clear the path without plowing it aside or putting excessive strain on my tractor engine/driveline.

REG
I would like the 1000 rpm pto for rototilling and light mowing so I can run my engine slower conditions permitting.

/ 1720 Ford SSS 2 speed PTO?? #8  
djradz
Yes it is a 12x12 SSS! ]

I am also looking for the creeper option. (58" tiller in hard clay) yea I can make a few of 2" deep passes but would like to cut 6" at a time only slower.

The turbo sounds nice, did you ever find a smaller unit, I am Not yet ready to go there, but if I move up in altitude might be an option. (thanks for the pic's)

and Yes I love the little 1720