B2410 Clutch noise

/ B2410 Clutch noise #1  

Anonymous Poster

Has anyone with a B2410 experienced a vibration/noise (almost a squeal but more tinny) when the clutch is released? (I'm NOT talking about the normal hydrostatic whine when pressing the forward or reverse pedals.) The dealer says that this happens on new tractors but it should go away. He says maybe rust on the clutch plate during storage... He is more than happy to have a look but it is a 3H trip and a trailer rental for me. The tractor behaves normally asside from the noise. The noise seems to come from the clutch area. I have checked for vibrating sheet metal, etc. The pitch and volume go up with engine rpms.

/ B2410 Clutch noise
I have a new BX2200. Not sure that it has the same HST but I have not noticed any sounds like you describe.

John

/ B2410 Clutch noise #3  
I have a B2410. Although I would say there is a slight difference in the noise pitch between when the clutch is depressed or not, I would certainly have to classify it as normal hydrostatic noise. There has never been any louder whine or squeal when the clutch is pushed in.

Kevin

/ B2410 Clutch noise
To clarify, the noise occurs when the clutch is engaged (pedal not pushed in). The first couple of times the tractor was run, the noise was not there, then, the third time the noise started. I only have 3 hours on the tractor so it might just go away shortly.

/ B2410 Clutch noise
Hi,

I would check the clutch linkage and make sure there was the free play [or whatever you call it] specified for your model.

I suppose the tractor clutches work like automotive clutches, where there is a throwout bearing. If for some reason the linkage did not have that free play, then the bearing could be turning when it should not be and perhaps that is the sound you hear. OR the clutch slipping just a little...OR I could be full of hot air!

Just a thought....

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ B2410 Clutch noise
Thanks Bill. I'll check it out. I really should be out there putting some more hours on the new toy while its not raining. Talk to you all later.

/ B2410 Clutch noise #7  
I don't recall ever hearing such a noise on my B2410.

/ B2410 Clutch noise
I checked the linkage and it seems to have the right play. I've run the tractor about four hours now and the sound is still there. Same pitch, same everything. Asside from that, all seems to be working well. Turning up the radio so I don't hear it doesn't work because I don't have a radio. Besides, I'm getting used to it. If it goes away I might be worried. Maybe I just have new tractor, my g*d I just spent a bunch of $$$ jitters?

/ B2410 Clutch noise #9  
Check your manual for the position of the water drain on the clutch housing. Remove the plug and insure no water drains out. It is possible the clutch plate has glazed over. The clutch is a dry single plate type, not sure the material but it can rust so it must be ferrous. My B2410 does not make any clutch engagement noises. The BX2200 by the way has an electric clutch I think, the B2410 has a manual foot operated clutch. I doubt there is anyhting wrong with the tractor. Do you think the clutch is slipping or damaged such that it does not engage smoothly. I would let the dealer know about it but continue to use the tractor, it may be new and in need of use. Good luck. J

/ B2410 Clutch noise #10  
i would continue using the tractor, but make sure the dealer knows of your concerns. if something is wrong find it now. hard to describe a sound ain't it?/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif