Rust on Garage Floor

/ Rust on Garage Floor #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
Now that we're into snow season I'm once again faced with the ole rust stains on the garage floor from the FEL and rear blade. They come in wet from the snow and naturally rust a bit. Not a big deal, but is there a simple way to minimize this? Maybe wood blocks for them to rest on instead of the floor? Am I the only one A-R enough to even worry about this? TIA /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Rust on Garage Floor #2  
You could look into sealing and painting that area of the garage. I've seen some really nice epoxy sealed floors in machine shops that are pretty much unstainable.

Horse stall mats maybe? But they are heavy and who knows what it would look like under it when you moved it. Would elevating it with wood like you suggested work? Wouldn't the water drip off the blade and onto the floor anyway?

My garage has a crushed concrete floor, so it isn't a problem for me right now, but is a concern when we build some day.

/ Rust on Garage Floor #3  
Maybe a piece of cardboard would be all you need.

Egon

/ Rust on Garage Floor #4  
Thompson's water seal. If it makes the floor too slick for your taste, add a bit of sand for a textured finish.

/ Rust on Garage Floor #5  
I just keep a block or two of wood for the blade to rest on and for under the chained wheels when the chains are on. Same with my snow shovel, although I don't use it much.
Now this year, not a problem yet. No snow!

/ Rust on Garage Floor #6  
I use rubber horse-mat material under some of my garden equipment.

/ Rust on Garage Floor #7  
I always stuck pieces of 2 x 6 under my FEL and box blade, and set the tiller on 4 x 4 blocks.

/ Rust on Garage Floor #8  
NOPE : u ain't alone. i don't like rust on my floor either. i use performated rubber matting to set the back blade and the fel on. keeps the marks off the floor and allows it to dry, don't know where u would buy it tho? i got mine from work, it what they use for machine operators to stand on.

/ Rust on Garage Floor #9  
Shoot, if you're runnin chains you oughta have a good inch of packed dirt on top of the floor anyhow to keep the chains from chewin concrete. Of course, you can always rip out the floor and repour it with railroad rails embedded so the top of the rail is 1/8" above the concrete, that works great with tracked machines.
Do you wax the tractor too and use Armorall on the tires? If you do, ya best hope the garage is warm cause yer wife is gonna move you out there with the tractor.

/ Rust on Garage Floor #10  
I agree with Bird - 2x's under anything that touches the floor. My rule of thumb is: if it's made of metal, it gets stored indoors and up on wood.