using turning plow in 2 directions

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #1  

jsanders420

Tractor
MF 1533
I just read about using a turning plow starting in the middle of the plot, then going back and forth working your way to the outside. I always thought you had to go in one direction only but I guess for a large plot this makes sense.

What do y'all think?

It just never occured to me to do it like that.

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #2  
If you plowed out last time, you plow in starting in the middle. If you plowed in last time, you plow out starting at the outside.

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #3  
Depends on the size of the field. When I was farming, we did it in sections and there was no way of keeping track, so we did it either way. There is almost an art to laying out your furrows and joining them. I would hate to see the mess I would make now.

/ using turning plow in 2 directions
Depends on the size of the field. When I was farming, we did it in sections and there was no way of keeping track, so we did it either way. There is almost an art to laying out your furrows and joining them. I would hate to see the mess I would make now.

:laughing: That's the way mine was this year!!! It was horrible but I got it leveled out. I'll know next year.

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #5  
:laughing: That's the way mine was this year!!! It was horrible but I got it leveled out. I'll know next year.

When I was young I would try to hurry up and cover my mistakes with the disk before my dad could see them.:laughing:

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #6  
When I was young I would try to hurry up and cover my mistakes with the disk before my dad could see them.:laughing:

That's funny! Nowadays, the 3pt tiller is quicker at hiding plow mistakes;)

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #7  
On fields, It is easiest if you can find previous plowed furrows (shallow ditches) and start by plowing into those from each direction. This way, you will always be moving the soil from the higher areas to the lower ones at the start. The next time you plow, your furrows will be at what was previously the higher location and the field can be kept relatively level for many years if you keep alternating like this. It is always easier to roll soil downhill with a plow. Gravity is better worked with than against. For gardens and narrow plots, you will always see some folks who plow the same way every year, usually towards the center. The mound down the center gets higher and higher thru the years, and the edges get lower and swampier. Those folks would be much further ahead by plowing in one year and out the next.

/ using turning plow in 2 directions #8  
   / using turning plow in 2 directions #9